Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing my 9mo son- how often/solids/sle

Default Nursing my 9mo son- how often/solids/sle

Hey:

so I'm new to this forum and this is my first post- so I'd love your feedback

We had our son's 9 month well check yesterday- he is doing great- right on target developmentally and staying on his curve for height, weight, and head circ!

I'm a bit confused about my ped's advice about feedings, sleeping, etc.

right now my son eats every 2.5-3 hours- even thru the night (longest spurt is 4-5 hours at night). He's been eating solids twice/day- mostly stage 2 and cereal- has no interest in drinking from a bottle (for water) or a cup. he also just got his first two teeth and has been gagging everytime we feed him table food- it's been a battle.

We've been co-sleeping with him since he was about 3.5 months- it just works better for us since we have 3 older kids and my husband and I need to sleep- it's been a win-win situation.

our ped was encouraging me to get the feedings down to 4/day and do 3 solids meals with more table food.

she also was concerned he was not sleeping thru the nite yet- saying he should be sleeping 10-12 hours at a stretch at this point (don't think that has EVER happened!) she was encouraging us to let him "cry it out" which doesn't sit straight with me.

should I be concerned about our current feeding/food/sleep schedule? he's a really happy little dude and besides this, he's doing great.

thanks!
    thinkpinkjules

Default Re: Nursing my 9mo son- how often/solids

No! Your pedi is giving you bad advice. What you were doing is spot on, and your LO is obviously benefiting from it. Continue to feed on demand, until 1YO table food is for practice and nutrition should come from your milk. My son is the same age and isn't a lover of solids either and that's FINE! I ended up changing pedi because of her similar views. Now my pedi supports us and the was my son is developing. As for sleeping, it's none of her business really, you didn't mention that it was a problem and where your child sleeps is a parenting decision, NOT a medical one.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Also
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I agree with the PP. It sounds like you are doing great!

For comparison, my son is also 9 months. He nurses / gets a bottle of expressed milk at daycare every 3 hours (and sometimes nurses more often). He gets two servings of solids a day, and sometimes Cheerios or water. He sleeps for about two 4-hours stretches at night.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

to your ped

Your baby is fine. Mine gets as much expressed milk as he can drink and 3 offerings of solids, which he may or may not take. And he doesn't sleep through the night either.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ridiculous advice. Absolutely ridiculous.

The advice moms get on solids and breastfeeding differs so much from pediatrician to pediatrician! If you went to my kids' doctor, she would say that until the first birthday breastfeeding on demand provides for all a child's nutritional needs, and solids are only for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. And that after the first birthday, solids become a necessary part of a baby's diet, but may not make up the bulk of the baby's nutritional intake until well into the second year.

A lot of pediatricians assume that most moms will wean around the first birthday- if they even make it that long. So many of them tailor their advice on breastfeeding based on the supposition that you desperately want to wean and that by one year your baby is going to need to know how to survive and thrive on solids, because you'll no longer be nursing. But for a lot of breastfeeding moms, that's a bad assumption!

As far as the sleep advice your doc gave- crazy talk! Responsive nighttime parenting may be inconvenient for mom and dad, but it is good for babies.

Look, if your baby seems happy and healthy, then go with your gut, and don't let anyone undermine your success, even if they do have a M.D. after their name.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with PP!!
    You're doing awesome!
    I had almost the exact advice wiht my ped on our 9 month visit. I questioned myself as well but felt tons better after I posted here and had wonderful & encouraging words from the great mommies on here!
    (This was my second ttime switching peds...don't know if I'll switch once again or not. Will just have to nod & smile & know I'm doing what I know is best for my LO....also a very happy & healthy baby).