Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do you need to give cow's milk?

Default Do you need to give cow's milk?

My daughter is almost 14 months old. She is a happy, active, spunky little girl meeting all of her milestones but happens to be below the 5th percentile in weight. She weighs about 7.68kg / 16.10lbs at the moment. And has only gained about 20g in the last month despite finally starting to eat more solids.

Her GP has told me twice that I have to replace all breast milk with cow's milk, because she wants my daughter to get more fat. I had always planned on making the cow's milk decision once my daughter self weaned as I have read, heard, and believe that human milk is more than sufficient.

I guess I just need some support/advise. Should I be giving her some cow's milk (i.e. instead of water at daycare) but continue breastfeeding as she wants it at home? Should I just continue as we are and see what her weight looks like at her 15 month well baby check? Is sticking to my principles (that breast milk is all the milk she needs) putting her health in some jeopardy? I did a whole whack of research after the GP told me to switch the first time and felt confident continuing as we are but now I'm second guessing that decision again.

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Do you need to give cow's milk?

Boy, your GP gave you some bad advice! Cutting a reliable source of complete nutrition (i.e. breastmilk) from your child's diet is not a guarantee that they will increase their consumption of other foodstuffs enough to increase their weight gain. As long as you are still nursing 3-5 times a day, you are meeting your child's needs for dairy and there's no reason to introduce animal milk unless you want to do so. Human milk actually contains more calories and fat per oz than cow's milk (see this reference: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...kcalories.html).

That being said, if you have a very small, skinny toddler, you can definitely try giving her some cow's milk at daycare instead of water, and you can feel free to concentrate on offering her calorie-rich solids like avocado, whole milk yogurt, cheese, meat, and beans, and add a drizzle of olive oil to her low-calorie veggies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

That being said, if you have a very small, skinny toddler, you can definitely try giving her some cow's milk at daycare instead of water, and you can feel free to concentrate on offering her calorie-rich solids like avocado, whole milk yogurt, cheese, meat, and beans, and add a drizzle of olive oil to her low-calorie veggies.
    I have a toddler in the 15-20% range and while we still nurse very happily and at least 3x (usually more) every day, I always send whole cows milk to DC because I want to be sure she is getting the extra calories and fat during the long stretch of time we're apart. I see it as another healthy food for her, not replacement for us nursing. She's generally a good eater, but some days she (like many toddlers) doesn't eat all that much. But she always drinks her milk. If she was dairy sensitive I'd send almond milk or something else with fat and calories.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I agree with PP. Bad advice from GP. First of all there are healthy kids at all weight percentiles. My DD has been at the 25th percentile all along and she is now 15 months and 20 pounds. My DD nurses all night long and 4-5 times during the day before and after the sitter. She also drinks some whole fat cows milk, but not always. You are not harming her by continuing with BM, it's way better than cows milk, your research is right. Try to feed her more calorie rich foods in addition to bfing. Go with your gut mamma don't second guess yourself.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love