Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15-Month Old - Bedtime problems

Unhappy 15-Month Old - Bedtime problems

My daughter has always been nursed to sleep and except for a few rough nights with teething she has slept through the night every night. Well, it is starting again with her molars and she is a bear. I nurse her before bed and as soon as I remove her from my breast she starts screaming uncontrollably but I have to remove her after she falls asleep or she ends up biting me unknowingly as she sleeps. I try rocking her and walking with her but nothing works. If I start nursing her again she just stares at me while nursing and refuses to go to bed...basically using me as a pacifier. She will start grabbing my side, scratching me, grabbing at my face until I am ready to scream. If I put her in her playpen she screams which wakes up my husband who does not help at all at night because he has work in the morning. This is also the reason I do not let her cry it out in her crib...he can't sleep if she is crying and he has to get up for work. I am not looking to wean but I don't know how much more I can take...if I do not get any sleep I cannot be a patient mommy. I have zero family support other than my husband when he is not working so there are many days where I do not even get a 5 minute break from my daughter which is ok...unless you are running on fumes. I really need help...I finally just put Barney on TV for her hoping she would just stop crying and maybe fall asleep even though this is not a habit I want to start forming. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am hoping to go to a breastfeeding support group next week that I just found. Any suggestions?

Default Re: 15-Month Old - Bedtime problems

Have you tried giving her some Tylenol before bedtime? That might help a bit... I'd also take her to the doc and get her ears checked. You're probably right that she's teething, but sometimes what we think is teething is actually an ear infection, and I think it makes sense to eliminate that possibility when things are really bad.

I know this sucks, mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your response. I am calling the doc in a few minutes...she has had ear infections 3 other times already all when cutting a tooth. That has been the only time she has ever been on an antibiotic since she has still never even had a cold. I did give her Tylenol before bed but it didn't help last night. Thank you for your kind words. It is very hard when you feel overwhelmed but have no one to step in and give you a 5-minute break. Thanks again. Jaime

My 15 month old sometimes doesn't stay down after I breastfeed her to sleep and, like yours, will wake up and want to breastfeed again.
    I've learned that when this happens she is tired, but just not tired enough. She wants me to "put her to sleep" by putting her in a milk induced coma but is not getting to sleep deeply enough to stay asleep when removed from the breast and jostled a bit.

I've watched her and learned what tires her out the most before bedtime and try and engage her in those activies before trying to "kock her out".
    For her it's a brain exercise activity like - "Your Baby Can Read" video or a book or puzzle.

This may not be what's going on with yours but I thought I'd chime in - in case it helps.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Thank you for your reponse. I took my daughter to the doctor's office today and they said that her ears look ok but when she checked her nose and throat she saw some inflammation and said that it may be the beginning of an ear infection. She prescribed an antibiotic and said that I should start it unless I want to wait until Friday when she has her actual 15-month checkup. Not sure if I am going to start the meds yet or not but I might because I really want her to feel better soon.

Antibiotics will only help if this is a bacterial infection. If it's not- and chances are that it's not, since the majority of ear infections are viral- antibiotics will do nothing to help and may actually make your child feel worse, since most antibiotics have gastrointestinal side-effects. Innappropriate use of antibiotics is actually a major concern; see http://life.familyeducation.com/medi...lth/36145.html for more. So unless your doc is reasonably sure that this is a bacterial infection, I would hold off until Friday. If she's not better by then, or her symptoms have worsened, that might be a better indication that using an antibiotic is a good idea. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that your doc would give you a scrip for a sore-looking throat and okay-looking ears. My doc wouldn't prescribe an antibiotic unless she saw an actual ear infection accompanied by really yucky green nasal discharge, which she says is an indicator that the infection is bacterial rather than viral.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I totally agree with you and decided to not give her the antibiotic yet. We were dancing to Christmas carols and decorating our tree tonight so I think I just wore her out. In addition, I gave her some Ibuprofen and she fell asleep pretty quick...not sure if she will wake though. My daughter saw the nurse practitioner today but she will see her regular doctor on Friday for her well visit. It was the same nurse practitioner who looked in her ears last time and prescribed an antbiotic...except the last time she said she saw some fluid.
    I am not big on meds especially antibiotics unless they are absolutely necessary so I told my husband that I would rather hold off until she saw her doctor on Friday. I told the nurse today that I was concerned because this will be the third or fourth time she has had one (all for her ears). She told me that 3-4 times is nothing and basically said that it will not cause any harm if I make sure that she completes the full cycle.
    Thank you for the information...that article was very informative and why I was worrying about her taking an antibiotic. The first time she had it, the doctor was one of the older doctors in the practice and he said that both of her ears were red and infected. The last time it was this same nurse practitioner who said that she saw the fluid but it was just the beginning of an ear infection and that I caught it early. However, the last time my daughter did get diarrhea from it and was miserable. That was part of the reason I told my husband tonight that unless she needs it I will not put her through that. I remember doctors prescribing antibiotics all the time when I was younger without even running a throat culture. It is sad And my daughter has never had any color to the discharge from her nose in her life...only clear. That is why the aggressive therapy confuses me...and also, no fever. Unfortunately, this is the practice that I chose after leaving my last doctor who was anti-breastfeeding. My daughter's first doctor was horrible. I called once because my daughter was always spitting up and I wasn't sure if it was normal. My doctor's office at the time told me that I was overfeeding my daughter and to start timing my breast feeding sessions keeping them at 15 minutes. Not knowing any better I did what they said and my daughter was miserable screaming all night because she was no longer getting the hind milk...except I didn't know it at the time. While all this was happening my supply plummeted and my daughter started to lose weight rapidly. This same doctor told me to put her on high cal forumula or risk the possibility that it would affect her mental status. He was adamant that I needed to give her this formula and made the comment that not everyone can breastfeed even if they want to. I was petrified and gave the formula but mixed it with breastmilk. I signed up for personal sessions with lactation who watched her nurse and said that she was not eating but falling asleep. To make a long story short...I took herbs and did switch nursing (at one point every 5 minutes so she wouldn't fall asleep) until I got her back on track. Quitting wasn't an option! But...because of everything I switched peds.
    My daughter woke up once since I started typing this...but, after rubbing her back she seems to be back to sleep. It is my cue to get some rest now too. Thanks again..goodnight!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Antibiotics will only help if this is a bacterial infection. If it's not- and chances are that it's not, since the majority of ear infections are viral- antibiotics will do nothing to help and may actually make your child feel worse, since most antibiotics have gastrointestinal side-effects. Innappropriate use of antibiotics is actually a major concern; see http://life.familyeducation.com/medi...lth/36145.html for more. So unless your doc is reasonably sure that this is a bacterial infection, I would hold off until Friday. If she's not better by then, or her symptoms have worsened, that might be a better indication that using an antibiotic is a good idea. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that your doc would give you a scrip for a sore-looking throat and okay-looking ears. My doc wouldn't prescribe an antibiotic unless she saw an actual ear infection accompanied by really yucky green nasal discharge, which she says is an indicator that the infection is bacterial rather than viral.

When I went to the doctor the Friday after posting this I found out:

My daughter had no inflammation or signs of infection
    My daughter had nothing wrong with her ears
    My daughter has 2...possibly 3 molars breaking through her gums

I told the doctor about the antibiotic & she said she was happy I didn't give it to her. I also told her that the CRNP also said she didn't see any teeth coming in. She didn't look happy but also wasn't going to bad-mouth the CRNP. Thanks for the advice