Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flying with breastmilk

Default Flying with breastmilk

I'm not sure if this was the right place to post but I wondered if anyone has flown with large quantities of breastmilk? I am blessing with a very high milk supply and only pump maybe once a week (I actually stopped pumping as it turns out I don't have to go back to work yay!) And I have about 300 ounces of milk in my freezer. My sister in law had twins not long ago and has to supplement with formula anyway they live in Canada and I am in Utah and my parents are flying to see them soon and I read on TSA site that breastmilk was allowed as a carry on and I've heard of some people say that they've taken large quantities on as a carry on. Has anyone else had experience with this? I would love to send the milk with them to be able to give to the twins.

Default Re: Flying with breastmilk

I haven't been able to find the amount, but it sounds like it might be possible - http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...n/formula.shtm

I have only traveled with small amounts though so I'm not sure...

If it's already frozen though you may need to pack it with dry ice which probably changes the rules...
    Last edited by @llli*mek; November 30th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I've never heard of carrying on that much milk. However, like the PP I have traveled many times with maybe 3 to 4 days worth of milk carry on with out a hitch. However, with that much milk, I too would pack it in dry ice.

When I was on a EP group there was a few mom's who would travel for their jobs and be gone for long periods of time. They packed theirs in dry ice in a big cooler, and checked the whole cooler in. In todays world of not even one check in bag being free it may be expensive, but might be worth it to your DS any way. I know it would be worth it to me, what ever cost.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I would look into shipping it with dry ice. It might be expensive but so is formula.

I've flown with about 120 oz, but it was fresh. And I ended up waiting in the airport for 14 hours. I talked to one of the flight attendants who talked to one of the restaurants who let me get ice from their soda machine for free to keep rotating. A really good thermal bag was all I needed.

Definitely print out the TSA regulations. They asked to test the inside of my thermal bag but that was it.

If you can keep it frozen with a good thermal bag and LOTS of ice, you might not need the dry ice.