Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do..

Default What to do..

Well, as Iv'e mentioned before, my 6 weeks old has been so unsettled since the last 3 of weeks now.
    He grunts and pushes until he's red in the face. He is not having a poo or passing gas. The thing is, he does it ALL the time it's not a hour or 2 hour in the whole day thing it's pretty much continuous. He can hardly fall asleep as when he's tensing and pushing, he wakes up (when he does dose of).

It's really hard for him as I can see when he starts crying. It's not much easier for me as these sounds also keep me awake during the whole night!

Iv'e tried gripe water, infacol, colic drops and other things but NOTHING works. Iv'e taken him to the doctors twice and they pretty much said it's nothing.
    He does puke up a little after each feed, sometimes a lot sometimes a little.

Once he starts feeding, he makes a clicking sound, can't suck on the teat properly, gets stressed and starts wriggling and crying and wont settle. He does this so many times during the feed.
    He hasn't pooped in 2 days. iv'e tried water and stuff..but nothing yet.

Everyone I tell this to just tells me to change the milk as the milk could be causing this. I did put him on aptimil but kept puking it all up so I got SMA but didn#t bother trying it as I thought maybe its NOT my milk but thats all I keep getting told.

I express my milk and give him it. (not to forget to mention when I was a baby I had problem with milk so I useto get given this different milk from the hospital.

Shall I try giving him SMA, please help as I really don#t know what to do.

Default Re: What to do..

How much milk goes into each bottle? And how much does he drink in one feeding? How often is he eating? It's normal for breastfeed babies to go days between poops. Have you mentioned the spitting up to the doctor? Maybe your son has reflux. That is painful for babies sometimes. Ds had it and our pedi prescribed medicine for him. He had to take it for his whole first year

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    How much milk goes into each bottle? And how much does he drink in one feeding? How often is he eating? It's normal for breastfeed babies to go days between poops. Have you mentioned the spitting up to the doctor? Maybe your son has reflux. That is painful for babies sometimes. Ds had it and our pedi prescribed medicine for him. He had to take it for his whole first year
    He has 4-5oz. Every 3 hours or sometimes about 3oz in 2 hours.
    I'm not TOO worried about the poop but I was told the spitting up was normal but thought Id'e mention it on here incase. What kind of spitting up is normal then? I haven't researched what reflux it either!

Where are you? What country do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Where are you? What country do you live in?
    Uk.

This clicking sound...has anyone checked him for tongue-tie or a submucosal cleft?

The not pooping for several days is totally normal. Breastmilk is so digestible that they can use every bit of it. My second child went 10-14 days between stools starting at several days of age for the first 3-4-5 months of his life.

The grunting is also normal. Babies are not yet comfortable in their bodies. IME, this will go away soon.

That is a LOT of milk for a 6 week old. My baby at 6 weeks was only taking 2 oz. He still only takes 4 oz. are you using paced bottle feeding, a slow flow nipple, etc? And if he's not latching to the teat, how is he getting that much milk?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

@aprilsmagic

I have told doctord about clickin noise n all they said if hes putting weight on which he did then hes fine. I use a avent 0+
    He has that much milk most thr time I have mentioned it they said its fine. No one really takes notice around here. He does drink the milk just after every 10-15 secs, sometimes half a min, he stard strugling like hes lost the rythm n starts crying and then obv cuz he hungry he, tries again n again.

Also how much spitting up is normal?

Spitting up is normal for a baby. Some babies spit a little, some spit a lot. Some spit once in a while, others do it after every feeding. In general, as long as the baby does not seem uncomfortable when spitting, spit-up is a laundry issue and not a health concern. However, if your baby seems in pain when spitting, or is failing to gain sufficient weight, then you may want to investigate the possibility of acid reflux (see this link: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html).

I am with everyone else, though: grunting is very normal for a baby. Not pooping every day after 6 weeks is normal. Spit up is normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for all the information i'll try an do what I can.
    Like now he had 4 oz at 10am, puked up like an ounce and now he wants more n crying like hes staarving. :/

You might try giving him just 2 ounces every 2 hours and see if he's happier with that. Human babies are really designed to eat small amounts very frequently. Breastmilk is the perfect food for babies and is much, much easier to digest than formula. So it's unlikely that switching to formula will help. If he's getting breastmilk, he doesn't need water and it actually isn't very healthy for him at this age. Breastmilk will get his digestive system going better than anything else, but like the previous posters said, at 6 weeks it's perfectly normal for breastfed babies to go several days or even a week without pooping.

Both my babies did the grunting thing right around this age. It was very mysterious and occasionally annoying (like when they did it ALL NIGHT), but it's really common. I don't know why they do it, but it doesn't seem to be a sign that anything is wrong.

With the fussiness while feeding... Have you tried holding him in different positions while feeding him? Sometimes babies will squirm if there's pressure on the back of their head, for example. I'm wondering if maybe he's just not comfortable for some reason...
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--