Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Caught a cold - dip in supply!

Default Caught a cold - dip in supply!

I came down with a pretty unpleasant cold yesterday and I feel like my supply is taking a hit: DD is fussing a lot more at the breast and I could just tell that there's less milk than usual.

Should I start trying to take some fenugreek pills to mitigate the problem or stick to less intense measures (like fenugreek tea or oatmeal) or simply not worry at all?

I'm drinking a lot, trying to take it easy (as much as it's possible when taking care of a 7-week-old baby), letting her spend as much time at the breast as she wants, and NOT taking any medications that could affect milk supply (e. g. pseudoephedrine).
    Her diaper output so far has been the same as before.

Default Re: Caught a cold - dip in supply!

If her diaper output is the same as before, then it seems like she's getting the same amount of milk. Could your cold have coincided (you poor thing!) with a growth spurt? Or could she be getting sick and fussy? That would be my first thought, rather than supply drop (assuming you're not taking meds). Drink PLENTY of water, because you tend to lose a lot of fluids when you're sick (through snot ).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post
    I came down with a pretty unpleasant cold yesterday and I feel like my supply is taking a hit...

I'm drinking a lot, trying to take it easy (as much as it's possible when taking care of a 7-week-old baby), letting her spend as much time at the breast as she wants, and NOT taking any medications that could affect milk supply (e. g. pseudoephedrine).
    Her diaper output so far has been the same as before.
    Especially in view of your comment about her diaper output I would continue doing what you have described, and not use any fenugreek. The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (www.bfmed.org) recently came out with a new protocol regarding galactogogues, if you want to read more about fenugreek. It's not recommended.
    I am a mother of two.
    Find a local LLL Leader or Group

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Drink PLENTY of water, because you tend to lose a lot of fluids when you're sick (through snot ).
    So true. With DD#2, she and I both came down with the flu when she was 3 months old. I also had strep, bronchitis and a sinus infection from hell. I probably drank at least 100 oz of water a day plus plenty of hot tea. I firmly believe that all of the fluids is the only reason my supply didn't wane. Hang in there momma, and get better soon!!
    Wendy

Wife of my hero since 12/2006.

Mom to DD born 09/2006, nursed for 4 mos.
    DD born 12/2008, nursed 9 mos.
    DS born 09/2010, nursed 8 weeks, started cloth diapering at 10 mos.
    DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!