Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump parts at work

Default Pump parts at work

I'm returning to work tomorrow and am just wondering what most people do with their pump parts in between pumping? Do I need to wash them after each pumping session or can I just put them in a plastic bag in my pump bag? Do they need to be kept cold between pumping? Thanks so much for any help you might have. I'm trying to make tomorrow go as smoothly as possible.
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Default Re: Pump parts at work

A lot of us just put the pump parts (unwashed) in a bag and shoved them in the fridge. They'd probably be okay at room temp occasionally (I used to do that when I was traveling for work), but not for as long a period (especially if it's warm). Since breastmilk is very spoil-resistant because of all of its live components, there is no need to wash or sterilize between uses - washing once a day should be fine. I used to wash and sterilize mine a bit more because I liked the feeling of warm, toasty, freshly sterilized parts against my skin, especially in winter.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My fridge at work is a small little one that everyone shares so I don't have room to put my big bag of parts in it (even though it would make things so much easier!) What I do is wash the parts before work and then after I pump I just rinse them off really good and put them back in my bag. I have not had a problem with anything spoiling or getting sour. (I work 8 1/2 hours days.)
    July 27 2011

I don't wash during the day, just at night. I just stick them in the fridge between pumping
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zorkycharlemagne View Post
    My fridge at work is a small little one that everyone shares so I don't have room to put my big bag of parts in it (even though it would make things so much easier!) What I do is wash the parts before work and then after I pump I just rinse them off really good and put them back in my bag. I have not had a problem with anything spoiling or getting sour. (I work 8 1/2 hours days.)
    Breastmilk will not spoil at room temp for HOURS, unless it's very warm. Plus rinsing probably removes most of the breastmilk anyway. So this would be totally fine. Putting the bag of parts in a dark cool corner would be fine by me. When I used to drive for work and pump on the road, I just wiped the parts off with a napkin. Breastmilk is basically an antiseptic. It's pretty awesome.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I wipe down the horns with a wet cloth and put the valve part in my cooler. I use new collection bottles each time. It works for me and nothing spoils. I don't have time to wash and dry the parts 3 times a day and the company fridge is packed to the max (plus the kitchen is way out of my way).
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I've gotten to where I just wipe them down and stick them back in my bag and go on about my business, maybe or maybe not with an ice pack. You could get those Medela wipes (cut into thirds or reuse) or rinse...or not. I'm not about to stick them in our fridges at work full of drugs, dead things and poop samples. I'll take my chances with my own skin's bacteria. at home, I put them in the fridge unless I know I'll be pumping again a couple hours later or if I'm power pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I feel unclean reading the other posts! I dont rinse or refrigerate - I just throw them in my bag. I (actually my DH) just wash them before the next day. I have been doing this for 7 months without any problems.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I do that too and I haven't had any problems either.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I keep my parts in a large ziploc bag at room temperature during the day. I wipe off the horn to keep the bag dry (use the same bag for 1 week). At the end of the day I rinse parts with water and use a sterilizing bag, then air dry. Once a week I bring the parts home and wash in soapy water. I also store my milk at room temperature during the day and refridgerate when I get home.

For my DS I washed my parts after each pump because I thought I had to-what a waste of time (didn't know milk was OK at room temperature for hours, and guidance is always changing anyway).
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months