Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: extremely painful multiple letdowns

Default extremely painful multiple letdowns

hi there moms,

i have a 12day old baby girl. i have OS and OALD. my letdown is so over thetop that it is extremely painful, like i got a full on kick to the boobs. it could happen a few times during the feed and throughout the day. i am block feeding which i am very comfortable doing as i had these problems with my first baby and we both grew to be a great team together for 7 months.
    the thing is i never had painful letdowns with my first just sensations of my letdown which then sprayed my milk everywhere. and i am wondering if the pain goes away after a while. i never really got rid of my OS and OALD, baby just grew to cope and then enjoy it.

any replies on the subject would be great.
    thanks in advance

Bun Oven
    Last edited by @llli*bunoven; November 29th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
    bun oven
    mammy to Rose
    born 4th July 2010
    married my best friend 6th oct 2009
    going great

Default Re: extremely painful multiple letdowns

Yes, the sensation will disappear. At some point.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had SUPER uncomfortable, almost painful letdown sensations. I got more used to them and they began to feel less severe after a couple of months. At 12 days, where you are right now, was probably the WORST. So they do become more manageable. The aching sensation may take a long time to completely go away (for me it was well after a year) but it becomes far more manageable after a month or two.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thank you for your very quick replies.
    bun oven
    mammy to Rose
    born 4th July 2010
    going great

I remember having letdown sensations so strong that I was convinced I had the flu. They almost made my whole body ache. I would grit my teeth to get through them. Very strange, but even after Joe was a month old, I was pretty used to it and things seemed less intense. It's hard to know whether I just got used to it, or if the sensations lessened. One thing I have learned through this forum is that women with OALD tend to find letdown more painful and less "pins and needles" than women without. The force of the milk going through the ducts is intense. Just knowing that it's normal helped me some.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

hey there girls,
    yes i am finding it hard with the pain. and you would think that i could find this easy as i had a completely natural pain med free labour and birth???

but it just shows that your body can cope with the strangest of things. hopefully it will pass or i just get used to it.

thanks again for the reply
    bun oven
    mammy to Rose
    born 4th July 2010
    going great

I have really painful letdown too. It stings so bad. I also have OS and OALD and have been block feeding and it has been making a huge difference with the OS. The LD is still the same though. With my first DD I BF for 13 months and by about 6 months the letdown had gone down to mostly just a tingling. So I think there is hope for sure! Haha I also had a totally drug free natural birth so I understand! Any pain should be nothin at all compared to that! And yet I suffer from a papercut hahaha

here is hoping it settles. i am block feeding to a point that i am only using one breast for 3 -4 feeds so it is helping as i am getting yellow poos again. i was only getting green/yellowie green for about a week. so i think i am getting better, as my let downs are not as bad as a kick in the chest, more like getting stabbed with tiny pins. so for me that is an improvement.

hey, by any chance do you know how to up date your signature? i would like to add my second baby to it.

bun oven
    bun oven
    mammy to Rose
    born 4th July 2010
    going great

I'm glad things are mellowing out a bit! From kick in the chest to being stabbed with pins is a MAJOR improvement! It will get easier.

Upper right hand corner, next to your name, see "control panel." There you can update your siggy.

You can call me JoMo!