Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Period after only 6 months... so bummed!

Default Period after only 6 months... so bummed!

I got my period this morning. DS is almost 6 mos. I EBF, no pump, no bottle, no paci, no solids yet. Room-share with bed-sharing night nursing sessions. We're down to only one or two wakings/feedings per adult "night" which I guess is a contributing factor to AF's return.

Is it worth throwing in an extra night feeding to try and send AF packing for a while or is it beyond my control?

I know everyone's period comes back at a different time, I've read several old threads here that say as much, but I just feel bummed. We haven't been relying on it for birth control (we use condoms), so that's not the issue. It just sort of feels like an end of something, though I'm not sure what. Like my new-mommy identity took a blow and I'm that much closer to regular pre-pregnancy life.

Default Re: Period after only 6 months... so bum

six months is better than six weeks.... which is when my cycle returned

At this point, I'm not sure if you can send AF packing with extra sessions
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

That sucks, OP. I started my period at 10 weeks, despite EBFing, co-sleeping, and feeding on demand. My son is 9 months old and still feeds every 2 hours (sometimes hourly) at night so I am not sure if extra night sessions would help. I think every person is just different in this aspect. At least you made it to 6 months!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    But if you want to try, go right ahead and let us know how it turns out! It would be good information to have- we talk about it being theoretically possible but I don't know that anyone here has tried it on purpose.

And hey, at least you were smart enough not to rely on amenorrhea for birth control!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just got mine back at the 7 month mark, too. She only eats one solids meal a day and exclusively nurses! No pump, bottle, nada! I was pretty bummed too. My sister almost went 1 and a half years before getting her period back. Some chicks are lucky like that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    six months is better than six weeks.... which is when my cycle returned

Yup, same here... 6 weeks after both my babies.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

6 months is not bad! I got mine at 6 weeks with DS!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I also got mine after 6 weeks and with extra sessions it was gone until my dd became 7 months, then i tried extra sessions again but it did not work.

Lucky you...I got mine at 8 weeks.
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and