Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids?

Default Solids?

Hey Mamas out there! Question...MY 5 month old started grabbing at the sweet potatoes on my plate so I began to put some mashed sweet potatoes on his bumbo tray to play with. Today I whimsically added some hot water to the mash and made it more like a puree and fed him a bit with a spoon...I do however feel guilty about this because while my sons Ped says he recommends starting solids at 4 months i know its best to EBF until six months of age...that being said, he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the bit of mash he got from the spoon and tried his hardest to eat some from his own fingers. I should add my son had silent reflux and wakes 4-6 times a night to comfort eat (he barely sucks for 3-4 minutes before he is asleep again) so the GI suggested we try an ounce on BM with a teaspoon of oatmeal in a bottle which I tried for the first time to see if his night wakings lessen in amount...I, once again, feel guilty. A part of me enjoys saying hello a couple times in the night because these nursings are so quiet and cuddly (during the say he nurses for 5-10 minutes and is usually SO distracted so he is very fidgety). Has anyone tried e bit of cereal before bed and seen an improvement in night wakings (preferably those who have reflux babies)? I don't want to get a slap on the wrist but if anyone disapproves of this I'd like to hear why and how long to wait before trying again? I'm not in a rush to start weaning but I am returning to school Jan 3 (a few days before he turns 6 months) so I was wondering if solids would ease him being away from me (he is VERY attached to me...we are in loooove :-) Please no one suggest co-sleeping...we tried bed-sharing and it was disastrous because he nursed every 45 minutes. he is now in a crib not 2 feet away from my bed and a small part of me wonders if he awakens to nurse because he knows im there...either way I'd appreciate if the wakings were more in the 2-4 range! sorry for the long post...please comment and tell me your experience with solids/sleep! thanks!

Default Re: Solids?

I posted something similar to this the other day - we were getting pressured to start cereal w/DD b/c she started waking more at night. We don't have reflux issues, but I had the same question about sleep. The moms that replied, as well as my friends that I asked about it in person, said they didn't notice much difference in sleep after starting solids. It won't answer all of your questions, but the sleep issue is definitely covered: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...s-about-solids
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

I wish solids made babies sleep. Because then my 19 month-old wouldn't still be waking 3 times a night even after finishing a ginormous bowl of mac n' cheese, plus some grapes and peppers and cheerios and whatever else she ate off the floor before bed last night!

Thickened feeds (I.e. cereal in a bottle) are something people on this forum generally seem hesitatant to recommend, because cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard. However, I know that thickened feeds are sometimes recommended for babies with reflux. If you want to try it to help with the reflux, and the doc recommends it... IDK, maybe someone else will chime in with better advice on that part of the equation!

Honestly, I think 4-6 night-wakings is in the normal range for a 5 month old baby, reflux or no reflux. Solids might be the magic trick that makes your baby sleep better, but I wouldn't count on it. I personally would attack this issue from the behavioral end- check out Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for gentle methods that can help a breastfed baby sleep for longer and more independently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well I gave him an ounce of BM plus a teaspoon of cereal and he was WORSE last night! he went down at 7:20 and was up at 8, 9:30, but then slept well till 12:30 and then 4:30 but then didnt fall back asleep till 5 and was back up at 5:45 then went down around 6 till 6:45...I shouldve listened to my gut and not given it to him. The issue we are also dealing with it his diapers...they are CONSISTENTLY green and mucusy! I tried TED and they got betterISH but I did cheat here and there (however have not had dairy in 3 weeks)...I don't know how to make his diapers better and its driving me nuts. He is a fussier baby in general but since I started the elimination diet he is SO much better. I was hoping his sleep would improve too. Honestly the night wakings aren't too bad but its so hard to keep him asleep after his 3/4am feeding till wake up time at 7. I actually own the "no cry sleep solution" and have skimmed through it. I guess I will give it a real try after we move (we are moving next Thursday!).