Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Major Milk Loss

Question Major Milk Loss

I am a working, single mom of two. My baby is 7mths old. I have only breastfed and have never supplemented. My problem is that I am losing my milk and I do not know why. My typical pumping schedule is in the morning around 9:30, I would typically get anywhere from 6-8oz, then pump again around 12:30 and get about 4-5oz, 5:00pm about 4oz and lastly about 11pm getting approx 3-4oz. The baby only breast feeds twice a day. Once at night, on both breasts, before bed and once in the am, again on both breasts. I have been on this schedule since he was 6 weeks old. My milk has decreased rapidly over the last month. I have not done anything different. Now, my 9:30 has decreased to 3oz, my 12:30 is 1oz, my 5:00 is 3oz and 11pm I get nothing.
    Please Help!! I am wondering if there is anything I can do or take to stimulate my milk, I have made it so far breastfeeding and do not want to stop. I do not even want to supplement! Is there anything I can do?

Default Re: Major Milk Loss

When mostly pumping your milk will slowly decrease over time. Because no pump will get it all out. Not even the very best. To boost your milk supply let baby breastfeed every feeding. You can also look at this article about getting the most out of pumping. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html But the very best is to have baby drain the breast.

Breastfeed more....but are you sure you aren't pregnant? That said, it is very normal for supply to decrease, especially for mothers who are pumping more than nursing. I am pumping for a baby born unable to nurse, and I struggle off and on with supply, something that never happened to me before. Pumping isnt as good as a baby.

Of you aren't pregnant, there are some herbs you can take that can help with your supply. There are also some medications you could try.

But looking at this...the first thing I would change is frequency. Pump more often. Even if it doesnt get you more right away, it will increase your supply. An empty breast makes more milk than a full one.

And see if you can get baby to nurse at night. That will help your supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Breastfeeding more will definitely help. If your baby is sleeping through, waking him for one or more feedings during the night will boost supply. If you can't nurse more due to your work schedule, this link has tips on pumping more: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html. Basically, you need to pump more often, for longer, and use a better pump. After 7 months of heavy use, your pump may need to be overhauled, or you may need to upgrade to a better machine. Renting a hospital-grade pump might be a way to do that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"