Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update: Slow Weight Gain

Default Update: Slow Weight Gain

Things are still going slow, but steady in the weight gain department for us. She's now made it up to 12 lbs. At the suggestion of a few people I went ahead and purchased a baby scale. I'm glad I did! After several weighted feedings, I've learned she's taking anywhere from 3-6 oz from me when she nurses. That is on par/better than when she takes a bottle.

After several days of research, I'm convinced we have several things working against her weight gain. After yesterday's incident, I'm convinced we are definitely dealing with reflux or GERDs. She actually had projectile vomit, not just spit up this time. After staying with her the rest of the day, it was obvious she was not sick, she was still very alert and playful and cooed and ahhed at everything. The vomit occurred after taking a bottle...but not after nursing... So, I'm wondering if she's sucking in too much air making it worse? Anyway, aside from the reflux, I think we may have a hypermetabolizer. DH and I were both very slender babies, so genetically it would make sense.

I just wanted to say thanks for the support and advice provided earlier. As long as I am changing wet diapers often and she's gaining I'm not going to worry about it.

Default Re: Update: Slow Weight Gain

Glad things are going well mama! Keep up the good work!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Default Re: Update: Slow Weight Gain

Let us know how things go as you explore the reflux angle!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"