Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: relactation story/sns trouble

Question relactation story/sns trouble

So here's my story: I'm a 23 year old first time mother. I breast fed my son for 5-6 weeks and stopped due to a lot of reasons.. stress, no support from anyone, Mild ppd,crazy mother in law saying breast feeding is "gross" and sneaking my son bottles of formula, and just basically lack of knowledge.

I decided to start relactating when he was 8 weeks old. (He is now 12wks) I knew this was my choice, and id regret it forever if I didn't at least TRY. I didn't have access to a hospital or double pump so I did as best as I could. I used my single electric medela pump, and could manage only 5ml a day. I got a hospital grade on the 5th of this month but didn't actually begin to use to every 2 hrs until around the 11th of this month.

My son wouldn't latch, so I have been pumping every 2hrs even in the middle of the night. I am now up to 6-7 oz in one day. I took bottles away 3 weeks ago and have been finger feeding him to teach him where to put his tongue. I've been doing lots of skin to skin and taking baths with my son.. and lots of baby wearing. With the advice/help from the wonderful mothers on this site, I have managed to get my son to latch and he has latched since the 21st of this month.

I've been using the medela SNS for every feed now. Only problem now is, I don't know if he's latching right? is he getting my milk as well as milk from the sns? How long do I need to use the sns, how long should it take for my milk to increase more? I feel I am so close, yet so far. What should the next step be? I really don't want to give up.

Default Re: relactation story/sns trouble

Wow, you really have come an amazing distance! Getting your baby to the breast is a major triumph. Are you pumping as well as nursing with the SNS? Once you can fill the SNS bag with your own milk, or mostly your own milk, you can start reducing your reliance on the SNS. One of the difficulties with the SNS is that if you rely primarily on the SNS to increase supply, you may not get where you want to be. Even with the baby's sucking, it's not as stimulating to supply as the baby nursing without the SNS, or the pump in conjunction with the baby and the SNS.

Now that the baby is latching, you might want to consider starting feedings on the bare breast, and topping up using the SNS only when the baby seems to have gotten as much milk as possible from the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes I am pumping every 2 hrs that the baby is not nursing.. whenever I can pump, I pump. I am going to try and get him to latch for comfort now, though. Like you said I need the stimulation without the sns. My son just has a hard time with not much coming out so I may need to feed him a little first. We go in for a weigh in tomorrow.. we shall see how it goes. Still confused about this sns. Is it even a help?

It's definitely a help! Baby is fed 100% at the breast, that means much less chance that baby is going to decide to reject the breast. And baby does stimulate the breast, and hence milk supply, as he feeds, even if most of what he's eating is coming from the SNS. The problem with the SNS is that some moms think that the SNS alone is enough to get them where they want to be. But you're pumping, which is what you need to do. Pump + latching baby + SNS = perfect combination for ultimately transitioning to exclusive breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I don't have much to say in the way of helping, but I just want to say awesome job!! I don't know if I would have had the willpower to get from where you were to where you are. Way to go momma!!!
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

Thanks it is hard work, but it is so worth it if I can breast feed my son. I wish I never gave up.

Mommal, you said when I can fill the sns up with my milk or almost, do you mean with every feed? And if I am pumping and nursing with the sns, do you have any advice on what I should do next, in terms of getting baby use to the breast and not the fast flow of the sns? This seems like the last step, but I am so lost on what my next move should be. In my mind I just thought once he was latched it would just come naturally. I have no clue what I am doing now.. lol. I know you mentioned topping the baby up with the sns when he seems to have gotten enough from the breast, but he's just not having that lol I think its the slow flow. Should I pump to let down first?

Yes, I do mean with every feed. This is one of the big hurdles with relactation even after baby is back on the breast. Because a baby who is relearning to breastfeed isn't necessarily ready to increase your supply through nursing alone.

I know that some moms have used a technique where they use the SNS to get the baby onto the breast and start the sucking process, and then when baby is feeding actively, mom reaches over and crimps the SNS tube, temporarily stopping the flow of milk from the SNS. Hopefully the baby responds by sucking harder and feeding more from the breast than from the tube.

Great advice. I will have to try that today. Thank you so much for your help! You always seem to help me out whenever I need it