Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 month old fussing

Default 3 month old fussing

DS is 3 months old now. Sorry if this should be in the other forum.
    We haven't had an easy time with BFing. When we work one thing out something else comes up. We're supplementing every other daytime feeding as per Dr's orders with formula in a bottle; no more than 5 oz in a day. The bottle had less of a negative effect than trying an SNS did, oddly. In fact, it improved his feeding at my right breast - slow flow and slow let down. I've tried to get my supply up to get rid of the formula, (pumping, herbs, etc) but nothing seems to work. I resigned myself to using supplementation and we've just moved on.
    Things were going ok, we had a rhythm down. Now he's fussing after a minute or two at the breast. I'm lucky if he makes it to two half the time. He's pulling back, twisting, arching, then rooting around and incredibly miffed that he's no longer latched. He won't stay latched long, either. Diaper output is fine. I think weight is ok now (weight issues are why we're supplementing). No clicking or odd noises either when he pulls off; no spouts of milk. I do have a fast letdown on the left side, but he seems to like it. Oddly, he usually does just fine at night. We nurse reclined at night, cross cradle mostly during the day. Tried football and switching sides frequently. He still gets mad and pulls off. Ideas? Feedings take forever this way, and this mama (and her toddler) are just about out of patience. I know that sounds terrible.
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

Default Re: 3 month old fussing

A couple of ideas for you -

- Maybe try nursing him before he acts hungry? If he usually goes 3 hrs, maybe feed him at 2 1/2 so he's not starving/frantic when you start. May help with the wiggling. Or just after a nap, before he fully wakes up (maybe he does better at night b/c he is more sleepy & relaxed).

- My LO was a very wiggly nurser starting at about 7 wks. At about 10 wks we discovered that she had a dairy allergy. She would pull, twist, arch, fuss, etc. Not all the time but probably 50-75% of her feedings were like that. She is still wiggly (4 mos old now) but has settled down some since I cut out dairy from my diet. So maybe consider something like that - any other signs of possible allergies? Gas, very fussy, mucousy poops, rash, etc.

- One thing that helps with the wiggling is to pat her bottom while she's nursing. IDK the names of all the positions, but I hold her across my chest with my arm (the side she's nursing on) under her head & my hand across her back (cradle hold I think?). I put my free hand between her legs & pat her bottom. The movement seems to help calm & settle her down some.

- She is sometimes very fussy while waiting for let-down (which takes longer b/c she won't stay latched) - if I can't get her to stay latched I will usually take her off and settle her down before trying again. Usually I have to give her her paci til she calms down enough to latch well. Annoying, but usually once she's calmed down she'll latch & suck long enough to get a let down. Then she's much happier

Hopefully some of this is helpful for you! Good luck!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

this webpage has a lot of great info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

He's still nursing every 2 hours or so. Sometimes less than that. I try to get to him before he gets fussy, but he doesn't seem to give much warning. He'll go from content to miffed inside a minute! I'm going to try moving around while nursing today to see if it helps.
    He's got no rash or mucousy poops or other signs of a food allergy. I keep calming him and relatching until he gets a lets down, but he'll fuss again as soon as it's over and won't stay latched to stimulate another one. So I switch sides. Fuss, let down, fuss, switch, repeat. Breast compressions don't work for long, and I can't stop the bottles as suggested in one of the other kellymom points.
    Maybe it's just a stage? It's been a week, now. Erf.
    Thanks for the replies. Every little bit helps!

it could be just a stage. i've had some nursing strike/distraction issues that were a stage. somewhat similar. have you tried "recreating" night time feeding environment? maybe during the day try sidelying position in a dark room? or perhaps some white noise, music for the backround. after a week of dealing with this you may also be getting stressed out yourself and baby might pick up on it. i know its hard, but maybe drink something warm, eat a bit right before nursing to relax a little. hang in there, it should pass!

eta: the switch nursing sounds like its working (if not stressful), i'd just stick with that until this evens out a bit. how is baby acting otherwise? have you been able to determine a possible problem based on the kellymom website suggestions?
    Christine
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

This is all so new! I didn't make it this far with DD, so I have no point of reference or previous experience. I'm definitely stressed about it, though I am trying to deal with it using breathing techniques. I'm also trying to get my letdown "on cue" with deep breathing as mentioned on kellymom. I started a day or two into this whole craziness. It's helping me calm down, but LO still pulls off and fusses before letdown.
    When he's not nursing, he's a happy baby. Lots of chatter and smiling, reaching and grasping, normal happy 3 month old stuff.
    Distractible baby seems to fit; and I'm wondering if he may be teething, too. Lots of drool, increased spitting, chewing on anything he gets into his mouth (except mommy ), etc. DD started showing teething signs around 3 months, and cut her first two teeth the day she hit 4 months old. Apparently, teething early is a family thing. According to my mom, my siblings and I all teethed around 3 months (which is one reason she quit BFing us at that age. We've got very different outlooks on BFing; no support from that direction). Anyway, I'm going to try numbing his gums with ice to see if that helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion to recreate the nighttime feeding environment. I'll try that, too. We've done the white noise thing. It doesn't seem to do anything for him. Moving around helped during a couple of feedings yesterday.
    Here's hoping! Thanks again!

if teething is a suspect, you could try tylenol? but since he's happy otherwise. i would only do tylenol if he started refusing night time feedings and use it for that. you could try cold teethers, etc as well during the day and see if that helps any. but i totally hear you on distractable baby. i have one!! and she started early. search for that on this forum and you'll find a lot of good tips for distractable nursers.
    Christine

Another week of fussing and this mama is and the rest of the household is

LO now has a cold on top of the rest, so his poor stuffy little nose is adding to our frustration. What kills me is he'll drink just fine from his bottle. I don't own a pump, and if this keeps up much longer I'm afraid I'll lose what supply I've managed to maintain.
    He's now up all night, too. Sometimes the cold teethers seem to help. Sometimes moving helps. Usually nothing helps. I even tried re-creating the night time nursing by dimming the bedroom and trying to nurse on the bed, but my toddler cried outside the door the whole time (which of course piqued LO's interest); and when I let her in, she was so loud that continuing with the re-creation was pointless.
    This mama is out of ideas and barely hanging on to BFing by the skin of her teeth.

mama that sounds tough! is he still nursing at night?

he might have developed a bottle preference too...i dont' know much about bottles though, maybe someone else can help!

for the toddler, is watching a short tv show or video an option during the day? i can just imagine how interrupting my own toddler would be to a nursing baby...tv is the only thing i can think of that would hold her interest for a few minutes, but i think others may have more ideas! bump!
    Christine

Finally caught a break!
    I put DH in charge of DD for the night last night (he's usually not home to help) and LO and I got comfortable on the couch. We did nothing but nurse and sleep from about 7 pm to nearly 9 am! Only one short fussy period around 6 am. Things are going so much better today! Thanks for the support and ideas!
    Last edited by @llli*faeln; November 28th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.