Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning 14 month old

Default Weaning 14 month old

Hi!
    I am currently trying to wean my 14 month old son. I have a medical condition that I have been postponing treatment for for several months because the treatment is not compatible with breastfeeding. It is slowly getting worse and I feel like I need to go ahead and wean my son so I can treat my condition, even though I don't feel like either one of us is completely ready.

For the last month, we have been down to only two nursing sessions, before his nap and at bedtime. For the last week and a half, my husband has been home and has been putting him down for naps, so we have only been nursing before bed. My son has done great with this, and has not had a hard time going down for a nap without me there. Their usual routine is to sit in the rocker in the nursery, and my husband reads to him until he falls asleep, then puts him in his crib. My husband left today for a business trip, and when I tried to put him down (following the same routine), he would not settle down until I nursed him (I know this was probably not the best idea), but I just felt horribly guilty for him being so upset.

I guess I am not sure how to proceed at this point. My husband travels a lot for his work, and I had hoped that this time he had off to help would help with the weaning process, but it doesn't look like that is going to be the case, and that this is something my son and I will have to work through. My big question right now is, if I just refuse to nurse my son for nap time, am I sending him mixed signals by letting him nurse to sleep for bed but not for naps? I am so afraid that I am just confusing him by having two different routines for going to sleep. Is it better to just stop nursing completely at this point in order to develop a consistent routine?

I want to make this transition as easy as possible on my son, and would greatly appreciate any insight or advice. Thank you so much!

Default Re: Weaning 14 month old

I don't have any advice, but it sounds really hard. I don't know what condition you have or who you have spoken to in regard to it, however you may consider calling http://www.infantrisk.com during business hours. The phone number is listed on the site. These are the go-to guys when it comes to medications and compatibility with breastfeeding. It's a free service.

I was told that I had to wean due to a medication I have to take. It turns out several of my doctors were simply uneducated about how medications work in terms of mother's milk. There was actually no reason for me to wean, because the meds were perfectly safe once I checked them out with the fine folks at InfantRisk.com. I've actually come to realize that the vast majority of pharmacists and doctors are highly uneducated in this area. Their usual go-to suggestion is to wean. And the reality is that it's not always necessary.

I'm not sure if that really helps. It wasn't what you asked, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to call and ask the question in regard to your own condition.

I hope things get easier for you. If it turns out that you really have to wean or simply desire to do so, I'm sure the other mamas here will be a big help. You've done a really good job getting to 14 months. I offer up the suggestion above because it sort of sounds like you wish you didn't have to wean. I hope that it turns out to be the case that your doctor is wrong. Either way

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Hi Christine,
    Thanks for the advice and the hotline number! I have a fungal skin infection and I have been prescribed Nazoril (Ketoconazole) topical cream. The lady I talked to at infant risk said that it is a L2 medication and should be fine to use. At first I felt relief and decided to proceed with the treatment and continue BF'ing, but I have yet to start the treatment because I am just so afraid that my son could be that "one in a million" child who is affected by it. I know the chance is slim, but it is hard for me to justify taking any chance when my condition is not life threatening. I am feeling like it is selfish of me to take a chance with my son's wellbeing. I have had the rash for months and it has definitely gotten worse, but is by no means posing a significant risk to my health. It is so hard because my husband just tells me that I should just wean him and then treat it, that way I don't have to worry about taking that chance with harming our boy. I guess I am struggling with knowing what the right thing to do is. I am guilty of over thinking things sometimes and I don't know if this is one of those times or not...

Thank you again for your response!

Jenny
    Last edited by @llli*ndc106; December 2nd, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

I think I would be more concerned about losing the nursing relationship than about the risks of using the medication. If you were told it is safe to use I'm sure it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*intine View Post
    I think I would be more concerned about losing the nursing relationship than about the risks of using the medication. If you were told it is safe to use I'm sure it will be fine.

Your baby will get more benefit from continued nursing - as will you! Having nursing in your back pocket as you mother a toddler is a lifesaver! L2 is very, very safe. I would totally go ahead and treat your infection. I hope you feel better.

I understand your desire to protect your baby. However, L2 is safe. Go ahead and use it. I've used L2 meds with my daughter. No prob!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!