Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning himself or something else? HELP

Default Weaning himself or something else? HELP

LO is 6 months and 1 week. The last few days, he has been REFUSING the "dinner time" nursing.

Last night, he was so tired, I just put him to bed assuming he would wake up later to eat. That was at 7 pm. He didn't wake up until 4 am.

Today, he's nursed VERY well at all the regular times:
    4 am
    7 am
    11 am
    2 pm

Then, when I figured he'd be ready to eat at 5 pm, he refused. And not just distracted. I'm talking YELLED at me refused.

I kept trying.

I didn't want him to go that long without any food, and I thought maybe it was because of my slow letdown in the evenings. So, we gave him some sweet potato (he loves them) and he ate that like crazy.

Usually, he'd do a 5 pm or 530, then solids, then another "night cap" before sleeping at 7. Tonight, he wouldn't do any of the nursings and actually acted really angry when I even suggested that my breast would offer him anything.

I don't use a bottle ever (maybe once in the last 3 months).

He plays with a cup, but not enough to make this an issue, I don't think.

Is he dropping a feeding?

My mom suggested that I drop the 2 pm feeding so that he'll nurse at 5. She nursed all 5 of us kids, so I generally listen to her, but I'm just not sure.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Weaning himself or something else? H

i think its still pretty young to be weaning or dropping a feeding permanently, but all babies are different.

could he maybe have tummy upset/gas or still feeling full from earlier feeding? my LO refused night feedings sometimes if she had gas. once it passed she would go back to normal. you could try reducing the solids a bit and seeing where that goes. or possibly look at exactly what solids he's eating, and maybe try something different. also could it be teething? you might try giving ibueprofen like 30 mins before those evening feedings and seeing if that helps any.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

He didn't really eat much this morning for solids. I only ever give him breakfast and dinner. This morning, I gave him some applesauce, he didn't want it, and I didn't force it. So, the rest of the day, it really was just breastmilk.

I don't think it's teething as he already has 8 teeth! Yikes!

I'm thinking to drop the 2 pm feeding, let him have some juice, and hope that he picks up the 5 pm feeding without trouble.

Thoughts?

I doubt it is weaning. What about giving him a little less solids for dinner? See if that makes a difference?

But the reality is, babies who love solids do nurse a bit less than those who still rely 100% on mama's milk. So if diaper output looks good, he's gaining weight, and he's happy, I wouldn't worry too much. It could also totally be teething or a cold coming on or something like that.

Skipping one feeding is a long way from weaning, mama!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I never give him solids first. This was the first night I've offered him solids without him nursing first...and that was simply because I'd offered what felt like 10,000 times while he turned his head away. So, I wouldn't say that him not nursing at dinner was because of solids tonight.

I can say that after he ate his solids and I gave him a bath, he FINALLY nursed to go to sleep. It took a lot of effort on my part.

So, skip the 2 pm? Try it? I don't want him to skip dinner nursing again.

you could try skipping it and see how it goes? you could also change around the times if you wanted. so instead of 11-2-5-7 try 11-3:30-6:30 or some other variation of spacing. like it doesnt just have to be well, 2 is out so next time slot, kwim? he may not want to wait from 11-5. this all might be temporary, so anything you try can change at any moment (love it right?)

another thought i had was if you do both sides? sometimes my LO keeps her feedings at the same time, but if she wants less, she will only have one side on that feeding (if more, 2 sides, if even more, she'll go back to the first side again!). if you usually do 2 sides, maybe you could do 1 side at 2pm or 5pm instead? just ideas
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog