Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old is fussy all night

Default 1 month old is fussy all night

hi, my 1 month old son usually gets fussy around 5-6 pm and his fussiness stops at around 3 amthere are very little period of calmness in between like 15- 30 mins and then he starts crying all over again. i thiink he has gas, i burp him quiet often between feeds but even then its almost 2 weeks that he is fussy in the evening. plz help me this daily ordeal drains me out.

Default Re: 1 month old is fussy all night

Could he have reflux? Fussiness in the evenings is super common, but when I hear that it is extending late into the night, I start to wonder about reflux. Babies with reflux sometimes get worse when they are lying down, hence the nighttime crying. Does he do better when supported upright? Like in a car seat or swing seat or held by you?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

But if it's not an upright/lying down thing, then it's probably just () evenings-only colic, a.k.a. the witching hour(s). It sucks, but babies do grow out of it. You may be able to turn off the screams in the following ways:
    - nurse as much as possible
    - motion- rock in a rocker, swing in a swing, ride in a car, etc.
    - fresh air- take baby for stroller ride or simply carry him around the neighborhood
    - white noise- run the vacuum or the washer or try a white noise generator
    - keep things generally calm (lights down, tv and stereo off)
    - swaddle
    - warm water- try an evening bath
    - wear baby in a slng
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I found that my DS liked to be sung to, especially by my DH, and it was even better if his head was right up by Daddy's adam's apple. I think he liked the vibration as much as the music.
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

Could be reflux for sure. Both my DDs had/have it. I'd check with your Ped.

will nursing him frequently not cause more gas? i am a bit confused as some times he simply refuse to get the feed, yes white noise sometimes works, but i wonder when this collic will be over??

i am still confused that is it collic or reflux, as sometimes he dont want to be held upright, but just cries cries and cries , i tried mylicon drops they sometimne helps me but they only gives me 20 mins break..

It could be colic (fussy baby with no known reason) or it could be reflux, which a lot of colicky babies do have, but not all. Have you talked to your doctor?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It could be colic (fussy baby with no known reason) or it could be reflux, which a lot of colicky babies do have, but not all. Have you talked to your doctor?

not yet, he has appointment with the doc this thursday will talk then, hopefully this night ordeal will end soon

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abeer View Post
    will nursing him frequently not cause more gas? i am a bit confused as some times he simply refuse to get the feed, yes white noise sometimes works, but i wonder when this collic will be over??
    If it's colic, it tends to start around 3 weeks, peak between 2-4 months, and subside by around 6 months. A lot of coping with colic is just waiting it out.

Nursing more frequently never hurts a baby, and does not cause more gas. That's an old wives tale.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"