Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EP got clogged ducts! Help!

Unhappy EP got clogged ducts! Help!

I am an exclusive pumper. For 2 months now. LO gets frustrated and will not latch. I also have inverted nipples. The other day I had the chills and caught a little fever. That went away. After that I got a couple of clogged ducts. Been trying everything. Not sure if there's anything else out there I can try. I've done the hot shower, warm compress, pumping longer, and massaging. Would love any advice!

Default Re: EP got clogged ducts! Help!

Coule more things you can try:
    - pump with your breasts hanging down into the pump- gravity may help draw out the clogs
    - add a soy lecithin supplement to your diet
    - reduce saturated fat in your dit
    - try different shields
    - try a better pump
    - if baby will nurse, have baby try to draw out the plugs
    - if baby won't nurse, maybe someone else you know will? I know some women have asked their husbands or partners to help them draw out a stubborn plug- I know that sounds a bit weird but when you're desperate...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    - if baby won't nurse, maybe someone else you know will? I know some women have asked their husbands or partners to help them draw out a stubborn plug- I know that sounds a bit weird but when you're desperate...
    Some women are able to do it themselves. Might sound even weirder, but clogged ducts suck.

And to the soy lecithin. I got some capsules and found they helped. It's also in candy bars

Good luck from a fellow EP'er!

Massage and wool nursing pads.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My husband helped me when I got a bad one. Worked like a charm. I just pumped a really long time right before he tried and it was such a huge relief to get the clog out.