Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Let baby sleep or wake up baby?

Default Let baby sleep or wake up baby?

My son is 7 weeks old and has been a sleepy baby from birth. From the beginning, I've had to wake him up to eat. It's gotten a lot better during the day and he usually wakes himself up to eat and cluster feeds all evening long. His weight gain has been good and plenty of wet and dirty diapers. I typically feed him the last time ending around 11:30 with him falling asleep nursing. I had been waking him up between 3 and 4 to eat during the night. His ped said I could stop this and that he's getting enough during the day. My question is - what do you think? Should I keep waking him up for a nighttime feeding or not? I tried not waking him up last night and he did not wake himself up - I ended up waking him up at 6 b/c I was so full. He has occasionally woken up on his own (maybe 2 or 3 times since birth) to be fed in the middle of the night (when I haven't heard my alarm or he woke up before my alarm went off). Thoughts???

Thanks for the advice!

Default Re: Let baby sleep or wake up baby?

IMO, that's your call. If you want the extra sleep, you can let him sleep. But, not nursing at night can bring back your period more quickly. If it were me, I would wake him anytime I woke up. If I slept all night, I wouldn't worry about it. If I woke I. The night, full, I would wake him to nurse for my own comfort, then he also might sleep later.

Default Re: Let baby sleep or wake up baby?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    IMO, that's your call. If you want the extra sleep, you can let him sleep. But, not nursing at night can bring back your period more quickly. If it were me, I would wake him anytime I woke up. If I slept all night, I wouldn't worry about it.
    I agree with this. Only wake him up if your boobs wake you up! And enjoy the nights that he sleeps the whole night, because that no longer happens in my house!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)