Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recovering from OALD

Default Recovering from OALD

I won't say we have the problem "fixed" but it is getting better after more than a week of block feeding. I just want to throw some things out there that I am noticing since I began block feeding and I welcome any feedback that can be offered. Since I have only lived with OALD since my LO was born 3 months ago; I don't really know what "normal" feedings look like.

At first, my breasts got really soft and she seemed starving after she would finish one side. I wasn't sure to offer the other side because I am block feeding. It seems to be getting better but it still happens sometimes.

Do I always have to block feed? Or do I go back to the switch side method when things seem to be more regulated?

Now my LO seems to want to eat less now, verses almost every hour when OALD was at full force. Not sure why, this seems backwards.

Sometimes my LO will stop eating and cry towards the end of the feeding but before the breast is emptied. I can't get her to go back on the breast. I am so worried about getting mastisis because when I squeeze the areola area a lot of milk is still there.

So, like I said, any input here would be great. Everything seem so jumbled and unpredictable now. Thanks!

Default Re: Recovering from OALD

How long have you been block feeding? Some moms find it is just a temporary thing, and are able to go back to using both sides at one feeding.

As far as your dd eating fewer times than when she was younger, that is normal. Many babies become more efficient (even with the OALD/oversupply) and are able to get more milk and last a little longer between feedings. Probably just an age thing.

If your dd is finished, then she is finished. It is hard to say why she has been coming off and crying toward the end of a feeding. Is she easily comforted after that? Are you able to settle her without nursing her?

Just curious what is "Block Feeding?"

Quote Originally Posted by myleesma View Post
    Just curious what is "Block Feeding?"
    Block feeding is offering the same breast for multiple feedings either until the breast is empty or for a designated amount of time. It is used to decrease supply and help with overactive letdown.

I personally still only offer one breast at each feeding. My daughter doesn't like to be interupted while nursing, so a switch just doesn't work for her. I would say do what is most comfortable for you and your baby. I found with my daughter that she didn't like to have to work for the milk right after we solved the OALD problem. Is it possible that your little one is getting annoyed that the flow lessens towards the end of a feeding? Have you tried offering the other breast? Is it possible that you are not having another letdown towards the end?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I didnt realize that I could have more than one letdown?

It seems like the supply issue is getting better but the milk is still coming too fast at certain times. Some sessions go fine when at others she screams and will only nurse if I lye down with her.

Yes, you can have several let-downs in one feeding. Some moms do, others don't.