Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheerios & Choking

Default Cheerios & Choking

DS is 9 months old, and has been eating solids (fruits & veggies pureed and a little chunky) for almost 3 months. About two weeks ago, we started to give him some Cheerios and he loves them. It's a great source of entertainment!

Over the weekend, he had four instances of choking... one that actually make him vomit the cheerio mush back up.

Has this happened with anyone else? I think he must be putting too many in his mouth at once? We gave him a cup with some water after that, so that he could drink and eat them together.

I'm wondering if maybe I should take a break from the Cheerios for a while and maybe buy some puffs. Those desolve easier, right? Thoughts?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Cheerios & Choking

These are not choking incidents. These are gagging incidents. And the vomiting and gagging are natures way of ensuring he does NOT choke. Choking is when your childs airway is BLOCKED. Instead of turning red and being able to remove it on his own your child would turn BLUE and require CPR. Children NEED to experiment with food and having incidents of gagging and sometime puking in order to figure out how to eat. It's all part of the learning curve.

Way too lazy for formula

Okay, fair enough. Gagging does sound more accurate - he turned red and not blue. I am worried that it will escalate and he will need CPR...

Should we just keep letting him gag on the Cheerios then?
    ~ Megan

Take an infant/child CPR class. You will want to have that knowledge no matter what. And yes. Keep giving him foods to experiment with, even if he gags. He is learning not to gag in the only way he can - by trying, figuring out what doesn't work, and then trying other things. Just don't let him eat alone. And don't panic when he does gag. Keep eye contact with him, and talk him through the process. It will teach him to stay calm, which can help prevent actual choking.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Okay, thanks. It's scary!
    ~ Megan

It is. There is so much about parenting that comes down to leaping off a cliff and having faith that you (and/or your child) can fly.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Gagging, puking and tongue thrust are all natural defenses built in to protect a child against choking. The species survived before Gerber was around. Mother natures protects babies. I did Baby led solids. Which is based on research that shows that if you allow a child to put food in their own mouth as babies, they will be fine. So if he is grasping the cheerios on his own, then yes I would let him work it out. Have you taken a class in infant CPR? Perhaps having taken one made me feel more secure. But yes DJ sometimes would puke up things. It was sort of worrisome....but I never interfered.
    Choking really is a problem mostly LATER. I was much more worried about choking between the ages ages of 2&3. When he would shove way too much stuff in his mouth. 3or 4 bites at at ime without chewing and swallowing.
    The FEAR of it is pretty normal. But I never pureed anything or peeled any thing. I started handing him chunks of food at 6months and by 9months he was nawing on apples wedges. I wouldn't worry about cheerios. If you think he is putting too many in his mouth at a time than put a smaller quantity in front of him.

Way too lazy for formula

This always totally freaked me out too. But my DH, who took the class (I should too), was there to tell me it's okay. If they are coughing, they are breathing. If they are breathing, they are fine. But it's hard to watch sometimes!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I need to take a child CPR class. He shoves SOOO mcuh food in his mouth sometimes.

Way too lazy for formula

We've been meaning to take a CPR class and just haven't found the time. I think I better start figuring out how to fit it into our schedule.

The first food I gave DS was a chunk of banana, because I really didn't want to puree foods. But, after he shoved the entire chunk into his mouth, I freaked out and decided spoon-feeding would make me more comfortable. We're now getting to a stage where he really wants to feed himself though... so I need to get more comfortable with it.
    ~ Megan