Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting and Strep...

Default Biting and Strep...

Hi,
    I hope someone can help with this. I recently called the helpline and asked about my baby who was rubbing her teeth on me and also occasionally biting me. She said if I does draw blood I'm to be careful, especially if she has a sore throat, then I would have to go to the doctors.

Now, my baby has recently drawn blood and has a slight cough due to teething, but I can't get a look in her throat. So should I be worried?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Biting and Strep...

I don't think you have any reason to be especially worried. A "slight cough" doesn't sound like strep, and even even if it is strep, there's no reason to think you're likely to get a strep infection in your breast even if you do have a big, bloody bite. Babies bite and generally the only problem is with the pain from the biting itself. It could in theory make you somewhat more likely to get a breast infection, but it's not a big likelihood. I think the person on the helpline scared you for no real reason.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Strep is one of the only things I can think of that could pass straight from baby's throat to your blood, but thankfully, it's pretty uncommon! I highly doubt that your baby has strep. You'd be seeing a lot more than a "slight cough." That was a bit of a scary thing to hear, and I guess it's theoretically possible, but not likely.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for all the support with that guys. I shall stop worrying! Lol.