Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old help!

Default 3 month old help!

My LO is almost 3 months and for the past week his eating habits have suddenly changed. During the day he shows almost no interest in eating. Even when he wakes up in the morning he would rather be playing or looking around, even if it has been a few hours since he last ate.When I offer during the day, he usually has a shallow latch and isn't really drinking. He stays on for a few minutes and either falls asleep or arches his head to look around and unlatches himself. I try to keep the room quiet and dark. I know babies become more effective nursers at this stage, but if I weigh him before and after feeds he has only gotten a couple ounces. He is a very happy baby and doesn't seem to be sick or in any pain.The only time I can get him to nurse like he used to is during the night. Before this he would only have one or two nighttime feeds but he has gone to 3-4 in the last week. LO also spits up frequently and after the big night feedings we don't get much sleep because as soon as I lay him back down he spits up for the next couples hours re-waking himself. I know there is a three month growth spurt, but he doesn't seem to be eating more (actually less) just changed the times that he eats. Would shorter daytime feeds hurt my supply? If anyone has any idea about what may be causing this or how to help him eat more during the day please let me know!

Default Re: 3 month old help!

Are his diapers ok as far as output?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yup, he's still having plenty of wet diapers and usually one BM a day.

A couple of oz is really all a baby needs, especially if he's feeding frequently. It can come as kind of a shock to discover that a breastfed baby is eating just a couple oz when you see a formula-fed baby the same age downing a 5-6 oz bottle...! But as long as diaper output and weight gain remain normal it's nothing to worry about.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A couple of oz is really all a baby needs, especially if he's feeding frequently. It can come as kind of a shock to discover that a breastfed baby is eating just a couple oz when you see a formula-fed baby the same age downing a 5-6 oz bottle...! But as long as diaper output and weight gain remain normal it's nothing to worry about.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the responses! And my supply won't be affected by smaller but more frequent feedings?

No, it should be fine.

This is what babies do...as soon as you think you figured it out, they change
    Susan