Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hands free nursing w/ big breasts

Default Hands free nursing w/ big breasts

Hi all... Looking for info ahead of time on hands free nursing with larger breasts. I was a G with DD and seem to be heading the same way, size wise, again. I would love to nurse hands free with this LO. I never managed it with DD
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

Default Re: Hands free nursing w/ big breasts

This bra is a seriously ugly beast and seems to be MIA online, but it has allowed me to nurse hands-free: http://www.barenecessities.com/playt...id=Playtex4115

The combination of underwire and the rather stiff foam cups provide a lot of support- but of course underwire is a no-no for a lot of nursing moms, particularly those who are prone to plugged ducts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have had the same issue, Momma. What works for me is to sit with my legs crossed ("Indian-style") and to roll up a receiving blanket to put under my boob. It has to be a pretty big receiving blanket, or even a thick hand-towel. That combo lifts the baby and my boob enough for him to nurse without me holding my boob up. With the blanket/towel under my boob I could even nurse in a Moby wrap sometimes when he was a newborn and an a mei tai now that he is older. Good luck!
    Proud mom of two boys!

DS1- born 1/10/03
    and
    DS2- born 3/8/11

I don't have large breasts so I am not really sure if this would work for you but have you looked into the Moby Wrap? We can BF hands free in that. www.mobywrap.com Good luck!

The combination of a My Breast Friend cushion and a rolled up cloth diaper under the "working" breast to support it and hold it up is what did it for me. When I was out and about, I would use my diaper bag or some other cushion instead of the MBF, but it never worked quite as well. With the setup above, I could sit at the desk and type with both hands.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I made a wedge shaped pillow to shove under my boob when BF so that the nipple would be in the right position when nursing in cradle hold. When side-lying nursing... I've found that if I roll slightly towards my back, the nipple is in the ideal spot for my LO (so comfy when you prop a pillow behind your back!). In a carrier, I end up using one hand to hold the boob in the right spot (or my LO helps with his hands once we get started). I imagine my little wedge pillow would work nicely to hold things up on their own in the carrier too.

I wasn't really successful at nursing in a Moby (too hot, too stretchy). But, we like nursing in mei tais, SSCs, and woven wraps.

I've also taken to nursing in a recliner -- semi-reclined... my LO propped up on a long skinny pillow (boppys don't fit in my recliner with me reclined ) -- and then since we are reclined the nipple ends up in a more ideal nursing position!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Burp cloth under the breast.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks for the replies. For those of you who use a rolled cloth/pillow/pad under your breast, how does it work with a nursing bra?

Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*barnheartbabe View Post
    Thanks for the replies. For those of you who use a rolled cloth/pillow/pad under your breast, how does it work with a nursing bra?
    Easy: Pull nursing bra down, put rolled up diaper under breast. The breast holds it in place. It just props the breast up a bit making it easier for baby to latch on.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sweet. I'll definately try that. Some days it feels like it takes a crane to lift these girls