Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping help

Default pumping help

Hello everyone. I'm going back to work in 2 weeks so I've started pumping to estasblish a little stock of milk. I'm concerned, however, about the amount that comes out of my right breast in comparison to my left. This morning I pumped before my 4 week old ate. I got 5 oz out of my left and less than 2 from my right! I don't want my right breast to start underproducing when I'm back at work. Now, my right nipple is larger than my left. Could this be why? If I buy larger breast sheilds and use 1 on the right will it pump better? Or is this normal. When my son eats off the right breast he doesn't seem to have a problem getting what he needs so I think its a pump issue rather than a production issue. Also I am using a Medela.

Default Re: pumping help

It's normal for one to produce more. I used to pump 2-3x more from my bigger side.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Totally normal. I've pumped for years and my right side responds poorly to the pump. I get less than one oz while the left side gets 3-5 oz
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You can try different shield sized since one of your nipples are bigger but all in all I think the problem is completely normal. My right breast always produces a minimum of 1oz more than my left. It has not changed my supply in my left though- DS still seems satisfied with whatever boob he gets.
    July 27 2011