Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Retracting Nipple?

Default Retracting Nipple?

I have a 12 day old, who is my 4th successfully breastfed baby. Our bfing relationship has been great so far, until the past two days. I think I am experiencing the frustration of a retracting nipple - every time I try to get her to latch on, she can't and it seems that the nipple doesn't retain its "nipple" shape. It essentially "collapses." The nipple itself does not appear to be inverted like the pics I've seen online, so I'm confused as to how to go about fixing the problem. My pedi (who is extremely pro-bfing) isn't open til Monday and I'm a bit nervous about it, seeing as we've only successfully fed on that side twice today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Wendy

Default Re: Retracting Nipple?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnymom06 View Post
    and it seems that the nipple doesn't retain its "nipple" shape. It essentially "collapses." ..., seeing as we've only successfully fed on that side twice today.
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby! Am I correct in understanding that the issue that you are concerned about happens with only one of your nipples? You are concerned because you have only successfully fed on that side twice today. If the nipple everts in the baby's mouth and the baby is latched on correctly, the shape of the nipple prior to latch is relatively unimportant. Does this nipple evert in response to cold or manual stimulation?
    I am a mother of two.
    Find a local LLL Leader or Group

It never seems to evert. It inverts in response to manual stimulation, though not cold. I guess this is sort of hard to describe, but it's almost like the nipple folds in on itself when she latches on, so she can't maintain the latch. We did a bit better through the night. We were able to be successful each time I offered that nipple, though we still had a bit of trouble establishing the latch.
    Last edited by @llli*bunnymom06; November 27th, 2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: clarification

I use a nipple shield all the time. I have slightly inverted nipples, but additionally I was occasionally having the problem you describe. My nipples are only slightly inverted, but at times when latching on, in the beginning when I was trying without shields, I could feel the nipple sort of completely slip back into my breast and baby was off. It was like she was pushing it in by trying to latch on rather than pulling it out for some reason. That's not the reason I started using the shield, I use it becaues of severe pain without it, but it in addition to relieving pain, it also makes the nipples have a good shape, keeps them pulled out for baby and even if it were out of shape or inverted baby could still nurse. You might consider trying that just on that one side, maybe just temporarily so you can nurse as much as you want to on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mydreamscametrue View Post
    My nipples are only slightly inverted, but at times when latching on, in the beginning when I was trying without shields, I could feel the nipple sort of completely slip back into my breast and baby was off. It was like she was pushing it in by trying to latch on rather than pulling it out for some reason.
    Exactly! Sunday night I tried changing positions (someone else had suggested it on another board here for a different reason) and I thought it might be worth a try. I love the football hold for newborns, but we tried a cross-horizontal approach and she had no trouble at all :-) I talked to my pedi on Monday, and she suggested to continue nursing this way at least for a while if it continues to work. If not, she suggested the nipple shields.

Thanks so much for your help and input :-)
    Wendy

Wife of my hero since 12/2006.

Mom to DD born 09/2006, nursed for 4 mos.
    DD born 12/2008, nursed 9 mos.
    DS born 09/2010, nursed 8 weeks, started cloth diapering at 10 mos.
    DD born 11/2011, so far nursing well and determined to make it a year! Cloth diapering.

Catholic, work-outside-the-home, student. My best friend says I'm addicted to babies...guilty as charged!