Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Feeling

Default Annoying Feeling

Hello all - I am breast feeding my 9 week old, and I have recently started having a really strange feeling. This feeling is separate from the let-down feeling. I feel like I have this deep tickling/poking feeling in the chest, and I feel as if I can feel the milk spraying out. It doesn't hurt, but it is extremely annoying. The feeling starts right as I am getting baby to latch on and will persist for several minutes after the feeding is over. It seems to get worse as the day goes on. It's so bad by the end of the day I can barely stand it.

I thought maybe there was a latch issue, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I also get the feeling while pumping. I have been dealing with thrush the entire 9 weeks. Could the thrush be causing this feeling? I'm not currently having any pain from the thrush in the breast; just pink, burning nipples. Just when I thought the thrush was gone, it came back with a vengeance. Baby doesn't have any symptoms of thrush, so his doctor won't treat him for it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Annoying Feeling

Welcome!

The tickling/poking feeling could be a new expression of your letdown sensation. Or it could be thrush- the fact that it persists after the feeding is over is thrushy. But vasospasm (http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html) can also cause post-feeding pain. So it's sort of hard to tell exactly what could be causing the sensation.

I'd want to start by eliminating the thrush angle, which means that you must treat the baby! It is extremely common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic, but both are infected. If your baby's doc is reluctant to treat, find someone else who will.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How do you know that you have thrush? The reason I ask is that the symptoms of a yeast infection are also the symptoms of other things, like vasospasms or bacterial infection. I had been treating thrush for almost 3 months, saw a LC last week & figured out that the problem was actually my pump shields (they were too small). I had the burning, itching, shooting pains (vasospasms), bright red nipples, etc. My pump shields had traumatized my poor nips Classic thrush symptoms, and maybe I did have it initially, but I got rid of it somewhere along the way and never knew it b/c my symptoms were also caused by something else. My baby never showed any signs of a yeast infection either, but we still treated her 3X for it.

That being said, you may want to consider that your problem could be something other than yeast. Vasospasms can be triggered by something that causes "trauma" to your nipples...bad latch, too small pump shields, etc. Have you tried heat to ease the tingling feeling? Sometimes if it's vasospasms, heat (hot shower, rice bag, etc.) will help.

If you can (or if you haven't already), I would try to see an IBCLC. They can evaluate baby's latch and help you troubleshoot what could be causing your pains. Also would probably have some ideas for how you can ease/treat your symptoms.

Good luck!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Thanks for the info! I have seen a IBCLC twice, and she told me I had thrush the second time we went in, but that was when baby was 2 weeks old. I actually tried every pump shield they make for my pump, and I just couldn't find one that seemed to be comfortable. I stopped pumping for a while, thinking it was just hopeless. I did eventually come across the pumpin' pals, and those seem to work really well for me.

I called the IBCLC, she seems to think it's still a thrush issue and suggested I see my doctor at this point. He just gave me diflucan the first time and didn't even take a look to see what was going on. She really wasn't concerned with this feeling I'm having since it's not painful, just annoying, like someone keeps poking you over and over again. I'm thinking since it's not really painful that it's not the vasospasms. The only time I notice that my nipples turn white is when I rinse them in a vinegar/water solution after feeding.

In the past day I have noticed that the feeling will start right as I am tickling baby's lip with my nipple, and now I'm getting really dizzy and nauseous too. I'm wondering if I could be anemic. I had a placental abruption and lost 4 pints of blood. I was on an iron supplement, but at my six week check-up, the midwife told me I could stop taking them. I am still taking prenatal vitamins with iron in them though. I'll give the LC a call again tomorrow and see what she thinks I should do now. I have to return to work next week, maybe it's just anxiety!

I had extremely strong letdown sensations, which made me dizzy and nauseous. And I had anemia. So I wouldn't rule that out.

Some women don't feel their letdowns until their babies are a couple months old. Thrush can make letdowns painful - usually like shooting pains. But an intense pins and needle or aching sensation can be just a normal letdown. Don't worry, though, letdowns start to be less noticeable after a few more months, so that part will start to fade.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Respect your feelings. They are real and valid. Your body is telling you something. Maybe it is telling you that you are anemic, maybe that you are trying to do too much, maybe it’s a hormonal reaction to let down, maybe something else is going on. Respect yourself, your health, and your feelings and insist others do the same. For example, if you have thrush, your baby must be treated as well. Every breastfeeding expert I have read or heard on this subject say that both mother and baby need to be treated for the thrush to clear up. Period. If your doctor won’t help you with this, maybe it is time for a second opinion. (Or find another doctor who respects your wishes and is up on the current medical thinking.)

Your description of the physical feeling does sound let-down related to me. There is a wide range of feelings for let down, I have heard it described many ways. I personally felt no let down with my first baby but with the second, it felt like a freight train was coming through. Ugh. It was very uncomfortable, but since I 1) knew what it was and 2) was otherwise feeling very good about nursing (things were going so much better than with my oldest & that excited me) it never really bothered me much, and it eventually just became ignorable. I wonder if I would have felt more unhappy with the feeling if it was my first, and I was having other breastfeeding difficulties? I think I would have.

Are you nursing frequently? That may lesson the sensation. It may not. But I always recommend nursing more frequently because it helps with so many situations. It’s my go-to recommendation.

It sounds like you have really had a very difficult time with breastfeeding. 9 weeks of thrush! I would not wish that on my worst enemy. Plus you are pumping-adding more to your plate. Returning to work-stressful of course. All on top of the normal lack of sleep & stress that can come from having an infant to care for. And now you are actually feeling physically ill while nursing! It’s a lot to deal with.

I say to all moms, particularly new moms-take GOOD care of yourself. And during difficult times, ask friends and family to take care of you. You are the queen caring for the royal infant and should be treated as such- & yes, I mean waited on hand and foot, or anyway as close to that as can be managed. Sometimes we get lots of help the first few weeks, then nothing. But it can still be so hard! Ask for help, and be specific (Can you please take Fido to the vet for me?) otherwise they don’t know to give it. Most of all, give yourself a break. Or several breaks.

Do you need to be pumping right now? If you already have a stash for your return to work, what about stopping until you have to actually be back at work? That way, you can give yourself a break from not just the pumping but the need to clean all the pumping stuff so carefully due to thrush. Ditto bottles.

Have you been able to get out of the house much, maybe even (shocker) without baby? Sometimes just a few hours of “freedom” is a great stress reliever. On the other hand, if you are always on the go, maybe its time to take a day or two to relax at home with a do not disturb sign on the door.

Have you found some breastfeeding positions that are comfortable, supporting your back, neck, shoulders? If not, work on that. Moms breastfeed a lot in the first few months, and we should be comfortable doing so. Check out ideas about laid back breastfeeding or biological nurturing for exploring nursing positions that are comfortable for mom. Also experiment with side lying, basically, whatever works. There is no wrong way to position a baby for breastfeeding. As long as baby is getting milk and it is comfortable for mom, it’s good. Also you could try distracting yourself from the feeling with TV, computer, book, music, whatever works.

Thanks, you definitely gave me a lot to think about! I am tired and I do need help. I was just pumping because I'm nervous about doing it right. I'll give it a rest this last week at home and trust that it will work out.

Just a thought from your other thread, where you said some things that made me wonder whether you have oversupply. Overactive letdown can cause strong, almost painful, very uncomfy letdown sensations. If you talk to moms with OALD, you'll find that many/most of them found letdown to be "annoying." But as the OALD starts to improve (it usually does around five months), that gets a lot better. I used to have to grit my teeth through letdowns. And it wasn't just nursing. I'd feel aching pains in my breasts at all times of day and night, while my breasts geered up for the next feeding. I thought I was a freak of nature, because the books talk about "pins and needles" and I was like, no, this is PAIN, thank you very much! But, it got better over time. (However, I had this from the time my milk came in. So I knew it was letdowns, and not something else.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Oversupply does seem to make sense now that you say that. My husband kept telling me that, but I always ruled it out because baby never had problems. I do recall now that there were a few weeks in the beginning where he would cry at the breast along with a lot of tugging back on the nipple, and gassiness. If I pull the nipple out of his mouth, it's usually spraying a steady stream.

I do have a lot of aching, and my let down definitely feels like a freight train. I kept wondering what this let down feeling was people were talking about. I didn't start feeling it until about 2 weeks ago. I've been trying to relax, think positively, and watch TV while feeding. I'm not sure if that's helping, but the feeling I'm having seems to have alleviated in one breast. It's still persistent in one, even when I'm not feeding, and that seems to be the breast that is constantly filling up too much and getting hard.

Def. look into oversupply/forceful letdown. Forgot about that. I had that too, a bit, & forceful letdown, we were able to handle it with simple positioning changes and nursing frequently so I always forget I even had it. Sorry I can't get the liniks now, but www.kellymom.com has an excelent article on oversupply/ forceful letdown. seach forceful letdown. I also like the 'gaining, gulping' pdf in the tearsheet toolkit on here. on llli.org seach toolkit

excuse misspellings out ot time sorry!