Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is BF at 7 wks possible?

Default Re: Is BF at 7 wks possible?

Have you heard of the Moby Wrap? Go to www.mobywrap.com I love love love mine. And it holds them nice and snug while breastfeeding hands free I might add if you want to. I'd practice first just carrying him the Moby to get him used to it. Then Try breastfeeding in it.

Keep trying! Try when he's asleep or mostly asleep.

I'm also wondering if a nipple shield would help. I don't normally suggest them. But it feels more like a bottle to the baby, and it may slow down what sounds like an over active letdown and oversupply, which seems to be bothering him.

Consider rebirthing. Kellymom has a link to that. Basically, take a bath with him and let him do the breast crawl.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Congratulations, it sounds like you are nursing at the breast, maybe not perfectly or all the time, but that is still really great! If a baby is trying to nurse as opposed to out and out refusing, that is a very good thing. Fighting and squirming at the breast are common and fixable behaviors that can happen even if a baby has been nursing all along. Plus weren't you concerend there was not enough milk? It sounds like that is no longer a concern?

Have your tried laid back positioning? (typically: Mom in a couch potato position, (leaning back) baby on top of mom, belly to mom, nose close to nipple, with baby at any angle you like?) This position helps with several of the issues you are describing, (difficult and/or painful latch, forceful letdown, clawing at the breasts.) Plus, it is very comfortable for mom. Soooo Important! Laid back website with video: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Document with description: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

Is swaddling helping? If not, I would suggest not swaddling. It rarely helps with nursing, as it is actually suppressing the baby’s natural nursing behaviors. If you are doing it to stop baby from clawing the nipple out of his mouth, try laid back. Often in such cases, (and I have personally been there) baby is not actually trying to claw mom or the nipple out, (even if he is very effective at doing so.) Instead he is trying to knead the breast (normal) but the positions mom is using are not allowing him to do that. Laid back positioning allows baby to put his arms around & hug & knead the breast rather than flailing around and knocking the breast out of their mouth and hurting mom.

Laid back can feel awkward at first, and what position(s) you and baby will find most comfortable will depend on how you fit together best. Keep adjusting, laid back is a nursing style, much more than a nursing position, if that makes sense. What works is very individual. Forget positioning 'rules' and do what works best for you.

Have you used any devices for pulling the nipple out? Breast shells are usually available at baby stores and maybe the baby sections of target or walmart. You wear them in your bra or under a snug top when you are not nursing to help draw out the nipple.

What about the 'nipple nudge?" I think that is what it is called, I forget & now I cannot find it online. But anyway, this is something you can do, usually in conjunction with making a 'breast sandwich." Holding the breast in a C hold, you poke the tip of your finger (pointer I guess) GENTLY into the areola and kind of push your nipple out as baby latches. It's tricky as you have to be careful to get your finger out of the way so baby can get a mouthful. I am bummed I cannot find a picture or video online, anyone else know what I am talking about?

Have you been able to connect with a local LC or LLL Leader?

Swaddling didn't help and so after the first time of trying it, I gave it up. It was actually horrendous and he's a very, very strong little tyke. (Everyone's said he's too strong, since he was born, actually!)

We've been latching a lot more. Yesterday I fed him 4 times, mostly in the evenings, and then this morning I fed him twice. Now I'm just dealing with cracked nipples and they hurt like a mother. Also, whenever he is on my boobs, even naked as the day he was born (and me too!) he ends up falling asleep. I have to wake him up at least 10 times, and then, when he drops my boob out of his mouth (I usually try to make him stay on for at least 10 minutes) he'll be quiet and content for a few minutes ... and then he'll go absolutely berserk, like he's still hungry. So, I've tried to keep my boob in his mouth, but sometimes it just doesn't work. If he's not sucking, my nipples aren't going to stay popped.

The breast shield has been helping and it gives him a bigger target to aim for after I take it off, which is nice; he gets on the nipple and eventually takes more of the areola into his mouth, but that first little bit of latching -kills- me and my sore little teats. Also, I can't wear the breastshields very long at -all- ... I end up spilling a ton of milk out of them, even with the milk-sucking sponges and with a tampon, as I was told is supposed to be useful when the sucking sponge stops sucking.

I tried the couch potato position once, but he got super angry, even when I went to help him. He kept nuzzling and rooting for my boob, and even when he got it, didn't seem like that was where he wanted to be. I'll try again, maybe later.

Thank you all for your support. We're trying hard over here. He seems like a much happier baby after he is done breastfeeding as opposed to being fed expressed milk; he talks a lot more and just seems much more active and content. :]

Also, I haven't been able to meet up with anyone, not yet. I'm a little stubborn and like to try to achieve things on my own. Silly, I know, but it's one of my bad teenage habits that I've taken with me into adulthood. :x
    Last edited by @llli*boog; December 7th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

It sounds like you are making great progress, but I am really concerned about the very sore nipples. Latch has got to still be off, or it's something else, like thrush. Do they hurt all the time, more when nursing, what?
    Milk sucking sponges???? Tampons? Is this some kind of method to soak up excess milk while the shield is still on? I suggest taking the sheild off, drying off (gently pat dry, do not rub) with a soft clean towel or cloth diaper and reaplying the shield. I hope you are putting the shield on correctly. Or, don't use the shield at all, if baby latches without it. Nipple shields are not usually useful for sore nipples & can make latch more painful.

The couch potato postion refers to you. Baby can be in any position, that is the beauty of laid back, so if he does not like it at first you can try to adjust him. That said, obviously it's best to use whatever postions work best for you.

Are you nursing so infrequently because it hurts or some other reason? How often are you removing milk from the breast? Is pumping comfortable? I think you may have some forceful letdwon and infrequent milk removal makes that worse.

Also, I haven't been able to meet up with anyone, not yet. I'm a little stubborn and like to try to achieve things on my own. Silly, I know, but it's one of my bad teenage habits that I've taken with me into adulthood. :x
    I don't think its silly to want to be independent and achieve things on your own. But trust me, if you are able to breastfeed, you will 'achieve' that on your own. No Lactation consultant or anyone else will make it possible for you to breastfeed your baby. Only you can do that. But the right support person can make a tremendous difference.

I resisted going to an LC with my first, for similar reasons. I was determined to tough it out or die trying. Finally I ended up having to see two, over three different sessions. And I can say without a doubt going to an LC was the best parenting decision my husband and I ever made and the best parenting dollars my family ever spent. I was lucky, the 2nd LC we saw was brilliant, but they both helped me in different ways.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 8th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I don't think its silly to want to be independent and achieve things on your own. But trust me, if you are able to breastfeed, you will 'achieve' that on your own. No Lactation consultant or anyone else will make it possible for you to breastfeed your baby. Only you can do that. But the right support person can make a tremendous difference.

I resisted going to an LC with my first, for similar reasons. I was determined to tough it out or die trying. Finally I ended up having to see two, over three different sessions. And I can say without a doubt going to an LC was the best parenting decision my husband and I ever made and the best parenting dollars my family ever spent. I was lucky, the 2nd LC we saw was brilliant, but they both helped me in different ways.
    I took nearly the same path. I had horrifically cracked nipples due to my daughter's awful latch, and even though I had the phone number of the local LC in hand- I mean, I didn't even need to go to the Yellow Pages, I had the number written down on a piece of paper in my wallet- I was determined to do it on. my. own. No help. No ma'am, not me. It was only when I took my daughter to the pediatrician at 2 weeks of age and discovered that she was only 1 oz over her birthweight despite near-constant nursing that I broke down and made the call. Going to see the LC 3 times, and then getting a 4th consult with another LC, was the best decision I could have made. The LCs made it possible for me to nurse my first baby, and gave me a shoulder to cry on when I badly needed it, even though I didn't yet realize that I needed it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Huh. I gutted it out...and I suffered for EIGHT weeks before we worked it out, and before I got any help. Don't do that. An IBCLC will be worth every penny to fix what sounds like a bit of a latch issue. Looking back, if I had gotten help sooner, it would have worked out better, I wouldnt have followed some horrible advice given to me by someone who really didn't know what they were doing, my baby would have been happier, and I would have been happier too.

Women are not meant to learn to breastfeed on their own. It is an art best learned from other mothers in our lives. Unfortunately, most of us do not live in situations where that can happen. Thus, we have to pay for a bit of help.

Just make the call
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It sounds like you are making great progress, but I am really concerned about the very sore nipples. Latch has got to still be off, or it's something else, like thrush. Do they hurt all the time, more when nursing, what?
    Milk sucking sponges???? Tampons? Is this some kind of method to soak up excess milk while the shield is still on? I suggest taking the sheild off, drying off (gently pat dry, do not rub) with a soft clean towel or cloth diaper and reaplying the shield. I hope you are putting the shield on correctly. Or, don't use the shield at all, if baby latches without it. Nipple shields are not usually useful for sore nipples & can make latch more painful.
    The latch is probably still off; my nipples are very pink and hurt especially for the latch on, and have been hurting worse during feeding than not. However, they still are tender afterward. Sometimes, I sleep with a towel beneath me and the threads of the towel agitated my nipples the other night.

I've been reading online to try to correct the latch, but when this baby does NOT get something in his mouth the first time, he has absolutely no patience whatsoever. I tried to correct his latch, tried nipple sandwiching, tried to get him to open his mouth wide and nothing would go right. Even practicing with him, or even him wanting to suck for comfort is a pain in the behind because he just shrieks like a banshee when he doesn't get something in his mouth right that very second.

When I said breast shield, I actually meant breast shells. They had been helping my nipples pop out a little more, because even after using a pump all this time has not made them to where they're very ... well, prominent. However, my nipple basically dies halfway into the most recent latches.

I'll try finding an LC, it's just that right now we don't have very much money at all, even for a couple extra gallons of gas in the car. :/

It's tough when money is tight. I hope you can find a LC who will help you for the right price, or for free, or who will spread her fee out over a nice long time. Whatever- it doesn't hurt to make the call and find out what is possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've been reading online to try to correct the latch, but when this baby does NOT get something in his mouth the first time, he has absolutely no patience whatsoever. I tried to correct his latch, tried nipple sandwiching, tried to get him to open his mouth wide and nothing would go right. Even practicing with him, or even him wanting to suck for comfort is a pain in the behind because he just shrieks like a banshee when he doesn't get something in his mouth right that very second.
    So, when you try to latch even when he is calm, and not hungry at all, he still screams? This is why I keep pushing the idea or frequent nursing-because a baby who is calm will often latch more effectively & be more willing to experiment than a baby who is hungry or upset-But if you are already trying that, then idk-just keep trying it, I guess.

As far as trying to get him to open up-OK, I know you already tried laid back and it did not work but-this is one of the amazing things about this type of position, it often allows a baby to latch comfortably without working so hard on it. Of course it does not always work but...it does work alot.

Ugh, I find latch issues are one of the hardest things to be able to figure out without being able to talk. Have you talked to a LLL Leader? We are free. Also a Leader in your area may know what resources there may be that are low cost or free.

Anyone still owe you a baby gift? Have any baby shower gifts that can get returned? Here in Northern California an initial appt with a private practice IBCLC-who often will come to your house-costs between $85-$130. How much will formula cost in the long run? Lots more. And that is not even factoring the increased health care costs, lost work costs, etc, that come from dealing with illnesses your baby is much less likely to get if he is breastfed.

A hate to keep suggesting an LC as the reality is, sometimes even an LC is not able to help-latch can be a tricky nut to crack. On the other hand, it is with tricky latch issues that I think LCs can be the most effective in helping. A trained eye, watching you and your baby as you latch and nurse-it truly sounds like that is what you may need at this point. If you decide to take the plunge, I suggest you call at least two to get a feel of who you would feel most comfortable with. Describe your problem and ask them if they have had success with helping older babies learn to latch and with difficult latch issues. Just get them talking a bit so you can get a feel of who you would feel most confident in. If the cost of an LC is too much of a barrier, as I think I said in an earlier post, sometimes (albeit rarely) LLL Leaders do home visits. Certainly you could try going to a meeting and arrange to meet with a Leader there. Just going to a meeting and getting support from the moms there can help.