Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signs of readiness at 4 months old??

Default Re: Signs of readiness at 4 months old??

I'm with Jenna. An Open Gut is a great reason not to start. And seriously they are interested in solids they way they are interested in why you are all playing cards at the Table. Or Cooking. Or WHATEVER. You going to deal them in? Because truthfully I think they are going to have the same reaction to be handed a playing card as a piece of apple or pear. Which is to put it in their mouth. Doesn't mean they are ready to eat OR Play Poker. It means they are curious and the way curious 4month olds explore the world is to grab at things and shove them in their mouth.

Way too lazy for formula

Right and I was just reflecting on my DS2 and his food issues and wanted to mention that even if you start solids at 6 months, those first 6 months where you EBF are going to fly by! This is such a short period in their life! Why rush it? Baby can have just as much fun starting to eat table food in EIGHT MORE WEEKS! Let them be babies!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

We used the 'baby led weaning/solids' cues… sitting with no (or very) little support, loss of tongue thrust reflex, ability to use pincer grip, etc.

I am no expert, but my gut feeling is to wait a bit longer. My son was early sitting up on his own but we still waited until he was 5.5mo before starting solids. In the meantime he sat with us at meals and played with a plastic spoon while we ate.

BTW, I have seen it mentioned here a few times that the pincer grip is a sign of solids readiness, but my recollection of Gill Rapley's book is contrary to that. When baby starts solids we cut the food into long pieces because they can only pick up with their fists, not their fingers. Pincer grip doesn't usually appear until 8-10mo range.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    I am no expert, but my gut feeling is to wait a bit longer. My son was early sitting up on his own but we still waited until he was 5.5mo before starting solids. In the meantime he sat with us at meals and played with a plastic spoon while we ate.

BTW, I have seen it mentioned here a few times that the pincer grip is a sign of solids readiness, but my recollection of Gill Rapley's book is contrary to that. When baby starts solids we cut the food into long pieces because they can only pick up with their fists, not their fingers. Pincer grip doesn't usually appear until 8-10mo range.
    My son had his by 6.5 momths. Although...he wasn't swallowing any food until between 8 and 9months.

Way too lazy for formula