my DS got thrush at 4 weeks. We treated him three times with topical clotrimazole but while the white patches go away upon treatment, they resurface a few days later. Now he is 12 weeks old and still gets a white spot or two a few days after the treatment stops. I am SO worried because the doc says the next step is to give him systemic medication (diflucan, which is absorbed in the blood) and I still think we are rushing it and he can be healed topically. So could someone with experience in this matter answer a couple of questions I had?
1. I read (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001650/) that thrush can go away on its own in two weeks. But just because I have already used an antifingal thrice on him, would the fungus have become stronger? Or does my lo still have a chance of getting rid of it on his own?
2. So far I panicked whien I saw little spots on his lips and started treatment on the doc's advice. My lo had no trouble eating then, but the doc said treatment is needed so that it doesnt get worse. Next time should I wait and give him medicine only if he has trouble with it?
3. Has anyone observed thrush going away on its own without medication or after stopping medication?
4. Will it EVER clear out on its own? By what age does it get better?
5. My LO keeps chewing on his fingers when he is hungry so would the fungus be getting back inside in that manner? What can I do to get rid of the fungus (if any) from his fingers? (I am already putting vinegar on nippes, boiling napkins he uses etc)
6. Can people who had problems with recurrent thrush say how they resolved the issue?
Sorry these are a LOT of questions but am really worried because the doc treated this way too soon perhaps and now I am afraid it wont go away!