Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about thrush

Arrow questions about thrush

my DS got thrush at 4 weeks. We treated him three times with topical clotrimazole but while the white patches go away upon treatment, they resurface a few days later. Now he is 12 weeks old and still gets a white spot or two a few days after the treatment stops. I am SO worried because the doc says the next step is to give him systemic medication (diflucan, which is absorbed in the blood) and I still think we are rushing it and he can be healed topically. So could someone with experience in this matter answer a couple of questions I had?
    1. I read (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001650/) that thrush can go away on its own in two weeks. But just because I have already used an antifingal thrice on him, would the fungus have become stronger? Or does my lo still have a chance of getting rid of it on his own?
    2. So far I panicked whien I saw little spots on his lips and started treatment on the doc's advice. My lo had no trouble eating then, but the doc said treatment is needed so that it doesnt get worse. Next time should I wait and give him medicine only if he has trouble with it?
    3. Has anyone observed thrush going away on its own without medication or after stopping medication?
    4. Will it EVER clear out on its own? By what age does it get better?
    5. My LO keeps chewing on his fingers when he is hungry so would the fungus be getting back inside in that manner? What can I do to get rid of the fungus (if any) from his fingers? (I am already putting vinegar on nippes, boiling napkins he uses etc)
    6. Can people who had problems with recurrent thrush say how they resolved the issue?
    Sorry these are a LOT of questions but am really worried because the doc treated this way too soon perhaps and now I am afraid it wont go away!

Default Re: questions about thrush

I'm sorry you're going through this, mama! Personally, I would be totally okay with a systemic treatment like diflucan. I think it is just more likely to work, and work fast. With the topical treatment, it can take weeks to clear up, and sometimes it doesn't completely do the job. But that's just my two cents.

As far as recurrent thrush, all I can say is probiotics, probiotics, probiotics. You can get infant probiotics for your baby, and you should be taking them regularly too. You can even brush infant probiotic powder right on your nipples. It's harmless, you can't overdose on it (because anything your body doesn't need just passes through), and it helps baby's immune system as well as preventing thrush.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I've done systemic Diflucan several times with several kids and I prefer it to topicals...one treatment and we are done.

probiotics.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I noticed that you mentioned treating the baby, but you didn't mention treating yourself. Have you used the clotrimazole on yourself, and been really scrupulous about breast hygiene?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I noticed that you mentioned treating the baby, but you didn't mention treating yourself. Have you used the clotrimazole on yourself, and been really scrupulous about breast hygiene?
    The first time around, I didnt know I had to treat myself as well. The second time around, I did put the same clotrimazole on the nipples, but perhaps not often enough. (How often is it to be done?)
    I have just started putting clotrimazole on the nipples (though presently we are not treating the thrush at all and seeing if it goes away on its own). Am also washing them with a vinegar solution post-nursing. What else should I do?
    My problem with diflucan was that the doc told ME to take the adult dose, while the baby takes the pediatric dose. Now I read on wiki that when the mother takes diflucan, it enters the breastmilk in the same proportion as the plasma. Wouldnt that cause a serious overdose in my baby? Did you all take it as well when treating the baby?
    (the doc has asked me to take 150 mg X 5 days of dliflucan while giving the baby 25 mg X 5 days dliflucan simultaneously. Topical ointment is to continue in this perdiod too!)

I think it's normal to treat both mom and baby with diflucan. That's an aggressive approach, for sure, but I think it's very likely to do the trick, cure the thrush, and quickly.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I'm sorry you're going through this, mama! Personally, I would be totally okay with a systemic treatment like diflucan. I think it is just more likely to work, and work fast. With the topical treatment, it can take weeks to clear up, and sometimes it doesn't completely do the job. But that's just my two cents.

As far as recurrent thrush, all I can say is probiotics, probiotics, probiotics. You can get infant probiotics for your baby, and you
    should be taking them regularly too. You can even brush infant probiotic powder right on your nipples. It's harmless, you can't overdose on it (because anything your body doesn't need just passes through), and it helps baby's immune system as well as preventing thrush.

This totally. With DS1 I took Diflucan and treated topically as well and the thrush cleared in like 2 days.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I sent some info on Diflucan from Medications and Mothers' Milk to the email address on your account. Hopefully it can help you in evaluating your options.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

OK I am no thrush expert, so please bear with me for what is likely an idiotic question--but were there any other initial symptoms besides the white spots on baby's lips? Painful or itchy nipples for you, deep pink and scaly and/or and shiny nipples, painful mouth for baby, diaper rash for baby, yeast infection for you,-anything? When the spots recur, again, are there any other symptoms? If you scratch at the white spots, is it red underneath?

It’s just that in my experience, (with helping moms) when there is thrush, white spots in the baby’s mouth may or may not be there, but other symptoms, particularly nipple pain, most definitely are. So, I am just curious if we have a situation here where mom is asymptomatic and baby has this one symptom?

In particular, I believe white spots on the tongue are normal. For thrush, you should see white spots elsewhere in the baby's mouth, which, if you scratch them lightly, are red or bleeding underneath. Similarly, mom may have burning stinging itching nipples. They may also look a bit whitish, with red underneath, or they may just be bright red (hard to tell with some mom's skin tones).

I have heard of babies having thrush while mom remains asymptomatic. It may just be bc mom's immune system is better at suppressing the yeast, or because she has fairly unsensitive nipples.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; November 27th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

You can call me JoMo!