Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14.5 month old biter! HELP!!!

Default 14.5 month old biter! HELP!!!

Ok so my 14.5 month old started thinking it is cute to nurse for a few seconds and then bite! He laughs and thinks it's funny. I have been telling him NO very firmly , placing him down immediately and walking away while saying NO BITE! For the last 2 weeks I have been rocking him to sleep while nursing (or trying to) because he continuoulsly bites and laughs if I try nursing to sleep in my bed. I bed share with him so I used to just start him right off in the bed. Now I need to nurse him to sleep in the rocker in his room than place him in the crib. He wakes up 3-4 hours later and comes in bed with me and doesn't bite at first.

Last night it got really bad. It took me 1 hour to put him to bed because of the biting! Normally it takes about 20 minutes. Every time he bit me I said NO BITE and stormed out of his room placing him in his crib. He cried and cried. I waited probably no more than 15-30 seconds and tried again. He would nurse and be nice at first and then bammmmm....he would bite again. This was an endless dance of biting, repremanding and him crying because I left for a few seconds. Now today he only nursed one time this am (9am). I took the kids to a cookie and santa fair and tried to nurse before I left but he bit right away. He fell asleep in the car so didn't nurse to sleep for nap today. I'm getting "full" and wonding if I should pump. Why the heck doesn't he want to nurse and only bite?????? Should I be concerned about him not getting much milk today? I'm scared for tonight because he was biting me at night in the bed once it was past 2/3 am. I kept pushing him away when he bit and eventually he got up and 3:30 am and stayed awake biting/nursing until 5am.

Anyone else experience this? How should I handle it? I don't think he wants to wean because he is so young. Maybe just teeth coming,but he knows he's being bad. Should I pump and give him milk in a cup? Arggggg so upset/confused and getting sore now from the biting.

Default Re: 14.5 month old biter! HELP!!!

My DS is also 14.5 months and still bites me and laughs occasionally. His biggest biting phase was around 7-8 months (he already had 6 teeth by then), and he would bite so hard he would draw blood. Putting him down, telling him no, letting him see that it hurt me when he bit didn't work a lot for us. The only thing that works for us is smooshing my breast into his face when he bites so he lets go. Now, he just bites once in awhile and it seems just to *test* me because he'll look up at me all sly when he's doing it, and it's not a hard bite at all. I still smoosh my breast into his face so he'll let go, wait for a few seconds and tell him "You won't nurse if you bite momma." Then, I switch sides, and he doesn't bite. I don't know if that will be helpful for you, but good luck!

We went through biting at 7/8 months as well. He had 4 on top and 2 on the bottom. The firm NO and walking away for a bit helped then. Now I dread him wanting to nurse because I'm gaurenteed to get bit. I'm getting so sore and so nervous to nurse him. I hope he gets over this soon. I really wanted to nurse until he was 2 or beyond if he chooses. Maybe he's trying to wean from me now.

what does he do before/after he bites? does he try to get away afterwards or does he just wait there? I'm wondering aside from the saying no (which you should keep doing) if maybe he needs more distraction. so after you've said no and go to start nursing again (but before another bite!) try some distraction technique. singing, humming, whistling, nursing necklace? do you think this might help? i guess it would only if the reason for biting was that he was bored
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I will try the nursing necklace. It does seem like he's bored when he does it. I know weaning is don't ask don't refuse. Right now its the only thing I can do cause if I offer when he's not ready it is just a biting game. I'm sure it will resolve eventually. I am determined to nurse as close to 2 as I can or beyond if he's willing.

They bite because they are bored. They are playing games. They are teething.

They are not weaning or desiring to wean!

Feel for baby pulling his tongue back in preparation to bite. He has to do that in order to bite you. The second you feel that, pop him off, distract or smooth in to prevent the bite. And maybe end the session for that moment.

Maybe it's time for daddy to take over bedtime
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you all for your response. Today is day 2 of no biting. Guess he just got tired of me putting him down after he bit. Also when he did pull off or gave that sly smile before the bite I would switch him to the other side. We are back ti normal! Hooray!