Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long can I freeze the milk for?

Default How long can I freeze the milk for?

Iv'e been pumping and storing in the freezing.
    I have been putting it in freezer bags in small amounts and I have been putting them in a bigger carrier bag and put it in the 3rd (last) freezer section.

How long can I freeze the milk for?

Also, sometimes I put it in the fridge for a couple of days (when I didn't have freezer bags) and then put them in the freezer, that's okay isn't it?

Default Re: How long can I freeze the milk for?

Depends on what kind of freezer you have.

One connected to a fridge does not stay as cold as one that is separate, aka a deep freeze. In the deep freeze, it can last at least a year. In the fridge freezer, it is 1 to 3 months. If your freezer is inside the fridge, no more than a month.

Yes you can collect over a day or two then freeze, if you are sure you do not have a lipase problem. I'd you do have a lipase problem, collecting milk like that can make it all taste bad and your baby might not take it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Depends on what kind of freezer you have.

One connected to a fridge does not stay as cold as one that is separate, aka a deep freeze. In the deep freeze, it can last at least a year. In the fridge freezer, it is 1 to 3 months. If your freezer is inside the fridge, no more than a month.

Yes you can collect over a day or two then freeze, if you are sure you do not have a lipase problem. I'd you do have a lipase problem, collecting milk like that can make it all taste bad and your baby might not take it.
    Oh! I thought I would be ble to keep it for a year lol

Okay, so what if I was to take it out that freezer (ive only been putting them in since 3 days) and put the carrier bag in the big chest freezer (the seperate one) can I freeze for upto a year then. Even 7/8 months.

If you have it in a deep freeze or transfer it to a deep freeze, it will last for a year. But no, if you leave it in the fridge's freezer, it will not last a year. The cycling of the freezer to prevent frost buildup eventually degrades the milk. Not as much of an issue in a deep freeze.

I store my bags meant for long-term in ziplocks to prevent freezer burn. I have seen some interesting rotation systems made from gift bags; you can look here, as I think someone posted a link some time back, or google that.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes. I have ziplock bags can I transfer the packets in the chest freezer than the fridge freezer will I still b able to keep milk in there even if its been in the other freezer for a few days ?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ishah2124 View Post
    Yes. I have ziplock bags can I transfer the packets in the chest freezer than the fridge freezer will I still b able to keep milk in there even if its been in the other freezer for a few days ?
    If the milk has only been in the previous freezer for a few days then I don't see why not.
    July 27 2011

Yes. I do this all the time. Freeze in the little freezer then move it to the deep freeze. It's fine.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Yes. I do this all the time. Freeze in the little freezer then move it to the deep freeze. It's fine.
    Oh my god i just got some bags from boots. (someone gave me the same ones a while ago (the ones iv'e used in the freezer already)) and it says on the back of the box that they are not to be used in the freezer as bag may split :/
    It didnt say anything on the other box, but they are exactly the same!
    I'm in need of bags today and have to freeze milk. I can't get any from anywhere else. what if I just put them in a big container and then close the lid so other things cant put pressure on the bags to rip and then when I want to thaw just do It in a way were I dont pu thte bags in WATER to thaw and in that case if their are any rips, there will be no water mixing in.

If I have a bag I supect will leak, I put it in a bowl to thaw overnight.

I am not familiar with UK brands of bags.

You do want milk storage bags though. They are meant for freezer use. You can also store in glass bottles.

I still think you should take the lactation consultant information I posted last week and touch base with one as she can point you to the proper products available in your area
    Susan