Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Caffeine

Question Caffeine

I want to start off saying that I pump while at work and freeze the milk for later use (rotate milk out). My question is, if I were to drink too much caffeine in the morning and then pump and freeze, when DD drinks that bag of milk, will the caffeine still be "active"?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Caffeine

Caffeine tends to stay in your system for a while, even if you don't feel the effects. I'd say that if your LO is responding to it, it's best to not have it. Maybe switch to decaf and see how that affects her.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I don't think the caffeine goes away on its own, if that's what you're asking. I mean, it stays in a bottle of diet coke even if it's in your fridge for a day or two. Ditto with cold coffee. That said, I never worried about this too much with Joe. I tried to just drink one cup of coffee in the morning, and that was it. I never really noticed an effect on him. But also, he was a TERRIBLE sleeper. I resorted to coffee to try to deal with the extreme sleep deprivation after being on decaf for months.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hmmmm ... Good question. You are pumping after drinking coffee so I would assume the caffeine is in the breastmilk, even if it gets frozen. We used to freeze coffee beans for freshness and it never hurt the caffeine so I figure it is the same for the breastmilk. I think the body is the only thing that can break it down and that happens in your body or the baby ... but not while in storage.

I hope this helps. I would limit to 8 oz of coffee prior to pumping and then load up while pumping. Here is some great info on caffeine in breastmilk: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html

being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovepickles View Post
    Hmmmm ... Good question. You are pumping after drinking coffee so I would assume the caffeine is in the breastmilk, even if it gets frozen. We used to freeze coffee beans for freshness and it never hurt the caffeine so I figure it is the same for the breastmilk. I think the body is the only thing that can break it down and that happens in your body or the baby ... but not while in storage.

I hope this helps. I would limit to 8 oz of coffee prior to pumping and then load up while pumping. Here is some great info on caffeine in breastmilk: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html

That's my thinking too.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Yes it would stay active in your frozen breast milk. It is not until the caffiene is metabolized in your liver that the molecule breaks down.

A little caffiene should not hurt though.
    July 27 2011