Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Babe pulling off in middle of nursing

Default Babe pulling off in middle of nursing

My 10 mo old (corrected age 8.5 mo) has started pulling off while nursing, upset - seeming more mad or frustrated than sad - whines a bit, arches back, then latches back on without a fuss. I don't know what it is. It's not a super fast flow thing I don't think? I just can't figure it out. Ideas anyone? He co-sleeps in a sidecar, and I've posted recently about him starting to wake up every 2 hrs for the past 2-2.5 months. Thanks for any ideas!

Default Re: Babe pulling off in middle of nursin

The three things that I would worry about are teething, a sore throat, or an ear infection. These are the only times that I have noticed my son acts like he wants to nurse but pulls away fussy and then goes back for it a moment later. I think it is because they want to nurse but it hurts to do so. If it doesn't look like he has any teeth coming in maybe a trip to the pediatrician is in order. Good luck!

the back arching could be due to reflux.

If there is not a fever or any sign of illness then I would feel around his gums for a tooth that may be trying to come in. He is definitely at the age for teeth and him waking up all the time sounds toothy to me. Maybe try some baby tylenol or a cold teether he could naw on.
    July 27 2011

Thanks for the feedback all. I tried the Tylenol (which helped when he was teething before) but no change. I don't think it's teething b/c he's got 8 already, and I don't feel anything on his gums. But then again, who knows. It's the only thing I can think of really. I'm stumped.