Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old night time strategy question

Default 9 month old night time strategy question

My son is right at 9 months old. Since birth he has woke every 1-2 hours to nurse. He only falls asleep nursing and only falls back asleep if he is nursed. The last few nights I have nursed him on demand at night but instead of rolling toward him or rolling him toward me I have been laying flat on my back. If he really wants to nurse he ends up doing it on all fours. He doesn't fuss or complain about this and if he doesn't want to nurse he usually rolls around and wimpers for a minute then goes back to sleep BUT it seems to have drastically cut down on his night time nursing. Instead of nursing every time he wakes now, only twice really, at about 3:30 and again around 6. This seems to be pretty successful but for some reason I feel so guilty! I feel like I am not comforting him like he is used to. What is your all's opinions?

Thanks!

Default Re: 9 month old night time strategy ques

Wow, if sleeping on my back was all it took to get my LO to sleep better, I'd sleep on my back wight a shred of guilt. Especially if there was no fussing or crying. Personally I think you hit the jackpot with this strategy, but if you feel bad about it then you should feel free to go back to doing things the way you were doing them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think you should feel good, knowing a happy and rested mommy is a better mommy. You are giving your son the best and also taking care of yourself. If he is hungry/thirsty he will eat.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I think that if he can nurse when he is truly hungry, then it is fine. Even if he whimpers a little, it's probably because he is tired and trying to figure out what to do about it. You are still there with him, in case he gets really upset. If he seems happy and rested in the morning, then I wouldn't worry.

wow great job mama!! but yes if you feel guilty then go back to doing what feels right. I agree if baby is hungry/thirsty baby will eat. i will have to try this laying on my back thing and see if it makes a difference.. knowing my luck she will wake up and sing or say hi and bye to the fan on the ceiling for 20 mins hahaha

I have sort of the opposite view to offer to you. I nursed my son every time he made a peep, and I was actually waking him up, I had no idea. I was so into breastfeeding and making sure my son was fed on demand I was ruining his nights sleep. Even now, I have to stop myself from getting him each time he fusses/talks in his sleep. At 9 mos he can def communicate to you if he's hungry. Also, its a valuable skill for them to slightly wake, but then get back to sleep without nursing if it's just a general disturbance. In my experience, a hungry/thirsty baby wont roll back over and go to sleep
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

I get the guilt thing...I've had my daughter do that...and I too felt funny about it. But if it works, good for you!
    married since 2007 to the man of my dreams!

had a water birth at home to my darling little girl born 2-18-11

working full time &

Cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hyperfish View Post
    wow great job mama!! but yes if you feel guilty then go back to doing what feels right. I agree if baby is hungry/thirsty baby will eat. i will have to try this laying on my back thing and see if it makes a difference.. knowing my luck she will wake up and sing or say hi and bye to the fan on the ceiling for 20 mins hahaha
    I just had to laugh at this! My LO thinks the ceiling fan is his very best friend. Always greets it with a big smile. Lucky for him, we have one in almost every room of the house! LOL

Thanks for your input, everyone. This actually seems to be working for us. He has only been nursing twice in the middle of the night now. He still wakes and fidgits a few times a night but it isn't the every hour or two nursing session that had been going on since birth. Maybe he'll keep it up!

Also, my son TOTALLY loves the ceiling fan. It used to be so bad that you couldn't get him to pay attention if you were near it and we called it his girlfriend for months, lol!