Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No stooling for 3 days in 5.5 week old?

Default No stooling for 3 days in 5.5 week old?

Hey all,

My little girl (baby #3) had been stooling almost with every feeding...nice yellow seedy stools (after we got past some green stool issues at about 3 weeks from my supply still evening out). But now, she has not had a stool in about 72 hours (other than two different times she had a tiny streak of yellow in her diaper). She has had VERY wet diapers (overfilling her size 1's). She's also been gaining great (was 7/5 at birth, and is now 10/5). The other thing I'm wondering about is while she hasn't been pooping, she's been sleeping non-stop...like 20 hours in a day! She has very little awake time (although when she does, she is very happy and smiley), so I'm not sure if that's related.

I have had BFing friends tell me their babies ended up with strange pooping patterns once they got a little older, such as only going twice a week. I know that not stooling can be a concern, but I can't figure out what could be causing it.

Oh and some other details: When she nurses, she is done in about 5 minutes on just one side (not from falling asleep, she just doesn't want anymore - my two older boys were the same way - only ate on one side). I have a very active letdown, and my milk release is just very fast and effective. She is eating every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-4 at night.

Anyway, should I be concerned? I really don't want to deal with a doctor unless it's necessary...but I have never dealt with a non-pooping baby before!
    Last edited by @llli*rachiebee; November 23rd, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Default Re: No stooling for 3 days in 5.5 week o

I would not worry at all, if you are getting plenty of wets than your baby is getting plenty of milk. Babies sleep a lot. And if she's happy and alert when awake, don't worry. She's still very young. It's perfectly normal for BF babies to slow down their bowels. My son poops like every week and a half. It's because bm is so digestible they dont' need to poop everyday. sounds like you are doing great!!!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Totally normal no cause for alarm.

Way too lazy for formula

I thought so, but then read an article on the LLLI site that said that you can't just go by urine and low stool output should be closely monitored by a doctor. I tend to just assume everything is fine, but I read it and thought I would ask. Thanks!

Low stool output (less than 3 per day) in the first few weeks is cause for worry. After *about* 6 weeks, many babies go to a less frequent pattern- and some, a waaaay less frequent pattern. Babies like to keep everyone guessing!

Unless something else is happening that makes you concerned- like you just started on a homone based bc, or baby is suddenly nursing way less, this is likely normal. If you're really concerned, simply nurse more frequently & keep monitoring the situation. Babies often can and do nurse in thier sleep if given the chance. Perhaps shutting down is her way of dealing with the suspected fast flow, so you could take some steps to help her with that. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf & http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html Since her weight gain is fine, feeding frequency and duration is likely not a big issue, but if you have an infrequent nurser it could over time impact milk supply. BTW moms can have forceful letdown and normal (rather than over) supply.

Oh and look out, becasue when she does go it may be huge.

Now is a very good time to start looking for the next size up diaper, or to consider using cloth (which contain poop explosions better than disposables do). I wouldn't worry! And don't expect a "normal" one-per-day stooping pattern until toddlerhood. One poop a day is normal for adults. Breastfed babies have very different patterns.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, we're on day 4 and still nothing! But she seems happy...she has been a little congested (the whole family has a passed a cold around) and right after I nursed her and she was laying on the floor on a blankie, she suddenly coughed and I looked down and she was puking up EVERYTHING (not just a little, but a LOT of fresh milk, and the end of it was tinged yellow). She was smiling right after and didn't seem to mind, but it was horrible! Anyway, I didn't assume it was related, but she hasn't done that in weeks and thought I would mention it.

And yes, I think my supply is okay, I have been avoiding the pump to keep from dealing with OS like I did with DS2. But I've been using her poop to determine whether she is getting enough hindmilk (making sure it's yellow and seedy, etc). So I'm assuming all her sleeping is an indication that she has a happy, full tummy.

When I said she was sleeping a lot, I know newborns sleep tons (she's my third, I'm used to most of this by now, haha), but she had been starting to have pretty regular awake time starting around 3-4 weeks, but right when she stopped pooping, she was suddenly sleeping around 20 hours!

I think the other thing I found strange was that it wasn't like the stooling tapered off...it just quit all together! I am definitely nervous when she finally does go...we do cloth diapers with DS2, but I haven't started baby girl on them yet.

Thanks for all the advice, ladies!

My second kid started going like 10-14 days between stools very early, like at a week. And it was totally normal. He used every bit of my milk up and didn't have a lot of residue left to poop with.

Enjoy not having poopy diapers and be ready for the pattern to change.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!