Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Put down the pump

Default Re: Put down the pump

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    You are because I did.
    I will respectfully agree to disagree. Ooky said it best - early pumping doesn't HAVE to mean BFing demise. I literally had my hands on Shiloh and was about to shake him. I decided then and there that I NEED to get out of the house. I sat my fat @$$ down, pumped 8ozs, and handing his screaming hiney over to his daddy - for 3hrs a day...most days anyways. I couldn't go another day without a break. And I will start early and do the same thing for baby #3 that I did for the first 2.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

very interesting thoughts. did make me see some early pumping in a new way so thanks

i think my issue with pumping is that people assume pumping = breastfeeding and i see them as very different. not sensing that here just in general.

pumping allows us to remove milk to give a baby when we cannot be with that baby for whatever reason (sanity, work, baby cant nurse, etc) but it does not replace a baby, does not build our supply as naturally as a baby, does not offer many of the benefits to mom and baby... lots of differences.

i really do think there is way too much pumping going on (sarale, did you say that once?) i would advise moms to nurse nurse nurse rather than pump.

i just don't understand the draw to it. if i did not work i would NEVER pump. NEVER. but thats just me i guess. it is very personal.

i feel like there is a very quick jump to pump when imho baby and mom need to have some time to make mistakes together and get established.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; November 28th, 2011 at 08:29 PM.

I really don't understand the assumption that there is judgment here. I don't see it that way. There is NOTHING wrong with pumping. What is wrong is when Mom's are told to pump, not given any context, limits or "whys". If you want / need to go out? Pump!

It's when pumping starts affecting your supply when you don't want / need it to. Especially when no one tells a Mom that it can / will affect their supply if not taken into account.

I see this post more as a "if you're a new Mom, you don't need to pump until you decide what it is that you want to accomplish with it". For Mom's who know, who have hit a rhythm, they'll manage it fine.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and