Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put down the pump

Default Put down the pump

Here is a great blog on how and why pumping messes up breastfeeding relationships when introduced too soon.

http://www.kveller.com/blog/parentin...-breast-pumps/
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Put down the pump

Great blog post! But I think it should be "how and why pumping CAN mess up breastfeeding relationships when introduced too soon." Introducing pumping at 3 weeks did not mess up my BF relationship at all. I pretty quickly became a "minimal adequate producer" (after about a month after that maternity leave when I BF'd full time and pumped once a day to build my stash I never made one oz of milk more in a day than DD needed, but also never needed to supplement, luckily) I needed the security of the stash I built up.

Also, one thing I don't think she directly addressed is that since pumping is a learned skill for many of us, I personally as a FTM needed the practice pumping before going back. Simply showing up at work for an 8-hour day 12 weeks post partum without the learning and practice during my maternity leave would have been disastrous. I wouldn't have been able to get the pump to work, and would have proabably left work early all those first weeks, engorged, in pain, panicked, using up all my precious sick time, and much more upset about returning to work than I needed to be. But practicing once a day during maternity leave was very low stress. For the first couple of weeks, I got very little even when pumping very full breasts, but it wasn't stressful because I wasn't relying on my pumping output yet to feed my baby. In later weeks of my maternity leave, I learned more "advanced" pumping skills, like using a hands free bra and selecting which one of those I liked, learning the best ways to maximize pumping output, figuring out the best way to do breast compressions, etc.
    Last edited by @llli*ooky; November 23rd, 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I thought the focus was what we see here at times...".I thought I was supposed to pump, and now I have too much milk, my baby won't latch," that sort of thing, instead of a new mom just enjoying her time off with her baby. Instead, she is all upset because she can't get anything out, the baby won't nurse and would rather have a bottle, or it's just not working. Sure, it takes practice, but not from birth and most moms just need a couple days worth of milk anyway, not this huge stash I have had moms tell me they need. So I thought this was a good reminder to just let baby nurse. To enjoy the time. And if you don't have to, don't pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thanks for posting i like this article and i feel the same way. it was *expected* i would pump, even though i would not be going back to work. many family members kept asking when i would pump so they could feed my week old baby. i think the pump of course is a very valuable tool when used correctly and for moms working. but i agree with the article, if everything is going well and baby is still a newborn, why pump if you dont have to?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Yes, I totally agree. (And new moms reading this, note the difference in experience and expertise in these issues that you can see based on mine and Susan's signatures! She knows her stuff a lot better than I do).

But the reason I posted that is that in the working and pumping threads we also see a lot of panicked posts on variations of the theme "I'm not pumping enough at work", or "I'm not responding to the pump". As for how much practice you need, I probably didn't need 9 weeks, but still was glad to have it because I went to work the first day knowing exactly how to do that part of it. I DID need 9 weeks of stash building. I built a stash of about 75 oz in that 9 weeks - not a huge stash by anyone's standards. It was adequate to take me through working and pumping for a year, and gave us a little time of having a BM bottle each day even after I pump weaned, which was a wonderful bonus. But I couldn't add to that stash the entire rest of that first year. What I built during those 9 weeks was basically all I had to protect me for the next year from needing to supplement when there was wastage at DC, a bottle spilled, or milk got left out, and when I had to borrow ahead for an entire day's worth of milk for a business trip at 9 months.

I certainly don't think all moms are like this (poor pump responders, have bodies that border on --but do not have!-- undersupply) and probably the MUCH larger dangers are what Susan is talking about. But I just think the pressures and pitfalls a mom faces trying to only give BM to her baby for a year when she has to go back to work full time at 12 weeks PP are different than other moms. This post is a great reminder to nurse and let your baby, not your pump, regulate your supply. I agree with that 100000%. But I wouldn't have enjoyed the leave time as much, if I wasn't steadily building a small stash too. Because it was always in the back of my mind...I have to go back. I have to somehow be away from this amazing wonderful creature for 8+ hours a day. I have to plan for this and I have to do something NOW to help make sure this will be ok. In MY case, early pumping allowed me to BF my baby for a year, never need to supplement, have an easier transition back into work, and we are still going strong at 17 months. Maybe I am a complete anomaly though.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

And see, I put it here and not in the pumping forums because we see quite often a new mom coming here totally panicked because baby is at the breast but I can only pump drops, what is wrong?! Nothing Just you are pumping too much too soon, out it down and start pumping when baby is a bit older.

The education about transitioning back to work is lacking, IMHO, which is partially driving moms to pump too much too soonm but also people just have an expectation that a mom can pump. Why pump if you don't have to? A pump can't tell you anythng your baby can't.

I'd rather a mom who is going back to work not pump for a month. Then she can plan to pump for another 2-4 weeks as needed to get her freezer supply to where she wants it. But that month to just enjoy baby..that is priceless.
    Susan

Zomg she is the nerdy chick from the Big Bang Theory.

Yep She has a couple kids of her own now and is on her way to IBCLC.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Sure, it takes practice, but not from birth and most moms just need a couple days worth of milk anyway, not this huge stash I have had moms tell me they need. So I thought this was a good reminder to just let baby nurse. To enjoy the time. And if you don't have to, don't pump.
    I went to work with one day's worth of milk stashed. I would have liked more but it was enough. I would say 2 to 3 days is all anyone should be aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    I DID need 9 weeks of stash building. I built a stash of about 75 oz in that 9 weeks - not a huge stash by anyone's standards.
    Huge by my standards. See above. 12oz a day (she only took 9 in a 10hr day but most kids take about 12 in a 9 hr day.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    I certainly don't think all moms are like this (poor pump responders, have bodies that border on --but do not have!-- undersupply) and probably the MUCH larger dangers are what Susan is talking about.
    I had some definite over supply (4-6hr blocks) and double pumping with a PISA I got *just enough*. I do not respond well to pumping. But hearing women here every.single.day. talking about how they are scared witless because they are pumping 2oz/boob after feeding their 2 week old baby makes me want to . Then they have OS and a fussy baby and green poop and they cut out dairy and caffeine and the baby is still fussy and she is thinking either she needs to try a TED or give up and use formula. It is a cascade. Just like the cascade of interventions that causes so many c-sections. Inductions and breast pumps are a godsend when you need them but when you don't they can have terrible consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I'd rather a mom who is going back to work not pump for a month. Then she can plan to pump for another 2-4 weeks as needed to get her freezer supply to where she wants it. But that month to just enjoy baby..that is priceless.
    This what what I planned when I went back with DD. But I got thrush about then and couldn't store the milk. I could also only pump when DS was in DC or he tore the whole set up apart (which he coincidentally did as a newborn when I was trying to pump to get my supply up with him - yup undersupply with baby #1 ans OS?OALD with #2 it happens every baby is different). Which is why I had one day's supply not 2-3.

I am sorry I get all about this, but I feel like so many moms who should have good relatively easy starts have terrible experiences BF because of the cruddy advice they get about pumping.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I love this post! I didn't know better and was so worried I wouldn't produce ENOUGH that I pumped really early on with DS2, and ended up with MAJOR oversupply issues. Then when I tried to correct the OS, I ended up with US, and never recovered well from that. Very frustrating! So I definitley think that the norm is that new moms assume they are supposed to pump.

DD (baby #3) is now almost 6 weeks, and I have only pumped 3 times, and only to relieve some fullness when she slept super long a couple nights. I swore I would not stress and just trust that my body would know how much she needs. She only nurses one side at each feeding for 5-8 minutes at most, and she's gaining weight wonderfully and very content. With baby #2, when he started only eating on one side per feeding, I would consistently pump the other side in panic!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Zomg she is the nerdy chick from the Big Bang Theory.
    It's actually Blossom, if you didn't notice!