Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How soon can you tell...

Default How soon can you tell...

My little one has always spit up a lot but it hasn't been as bad lately. He smiles now when he does it so I don't think it is reflex. Anyways, I ate A LOT of pizza last night and he spit up A LOT this morning after nursing. I don't eat a lot of dairy. In fact, I was vegan until I was craving dairy during my pregnancy. I know I've read that dairy can stay in your system for a long time but I'm wondering how soon your lo can be effected by it if they have an allergy? Could he have already been reacting this morning to something I ate last night? If he is allergic to dairy now will he always be?
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Default Re: How soon can you tell...

That's usually how I have been able to tell. What I ate for dinner bothers my son by morning. If you've been vegan, it might not hurt to try cutting it out for a bit.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

However if he's happy, I wouldn't cut out too much food from your diet. It's important for you to stay healthy and have a "good" diet and variety of food as well. so you get well nourished. If baby is happy and laughing and not in pain, I would rather just keep eating a good varied diet, and do the extra bibs and burp clothes in the daily wash.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

And truthfully, it's perfectly normal for babies to spit up. The fact that he did today may just be a coincidence to your pizza last night. For most, spit up is a laundry issue.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My DD has a dairy intolerance & we figured it out b/c she was super fussy (like in pain crying) & had some diapers with mucousy poops & traces of blood. She also spit up a lot, but she did that (still does some) even after I cut the dairy. I don't know if spit up alone is an indicator of an allergy. If he's happy, it's probably not a big deal. Also, tomatoes (pizza sauce) are pretty acidic & can cause gas & tummy aches for LO. Something to consider...

I was told by our pedi that most babies outgrow dairy intolerance between 6-18 mos.
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

I saw a dr. talk about spit up a couple of years ago at a bf conference. He said (as I recall) that someone actually did a study and found that most babies spit up at least some and 50% of all babies spit up frequently. This was both bf and formula fed babies, and the conclusion by the researchers was that being breastfed did not make babies spit up less. The doctor said he thought the conclusion should have been "spitting up in infants is normal."

So then I recently saw this statement about percentage of cow milk allergy in bf babies: (From the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: Protocol #24: Allergic Proctocolitis in the Exclusively Breastfed Infant.) "Prospective data indicate approximately 0.5–1% of exclusively breastfed infants develop allergic reactions to cow’s milk proteins excreted in the mother’s milk."

So I suggest, do the math, and enjoy your pizza.

Well yes, there is more to the intolerance than spitting up. On days I would eat dairy my son would be up all night crying, writhing in pain, cranky and have bad poops. So it wasn't just spitting up.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn