Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's going on with my hormones?

Default What's going on with my hormones?

IDK if this is an after pregnancy hormone thing or a breastfeeding hormone thing, but I'm about to go crazy! I feel like it's a breastfeeding hormone thing because (1) I didn't do this with DD who I wasn't able to BF and (2) it gets worse each time DS has a growth spurt and starts to nurse more.

I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm COVERED in sweat, my hair is wet, my shirt is wet, my neck and my boobs are wet. It's just from the bra area up. Everything else is usually COLD as we keep our house pretty cool. DS is going through what I hope is a growth spurt and not lack of supply and it's gotten worse! He's been nursing constantly and I'm sweating constantly! When I have letdown, it gets worse and by the time he's finished eating, I'm soaking wet! It's disgusting!!!!!!!

Anyone else do this?

Default Re: What's going on with my hormones?

How old is your baby?

So, in the early postpartum months, you're losing a TON of retained water, which you carried while pregnant. Even more if you were given IV fluids in labor or postpartum. And you lose that water by sweating it out. I woke up in a puddle every night for a couple of weeks. It's really unpleasant. But I actually don't think it's BF'ing related (although who knows? hormones are crazy). I do know it doesn't last forever!!! Just a little while. Breastfeeding won't always make you sweat.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    How old is your baby?

So, in the early postpartum months, you're losing a TON of retained water, which you carried while pregnant. Even more if you were given IV fluids in labor or postpartum. And you lose that water by sweating it out. I woke up in a puddle every night for a couple of weeks. It's really unpleasant. But I actually don't think it's BF'ing related (although who knows? hormones are crazy). I do know it doesn't last forever!!! Just a little while. Breastfeeding won't always make you sweat.
    He's 3 months old. It's been going on ever since I started nursing! I was given IV fluids, but I've been back to my prepregnancy weight since about 6-8 weeks, so I wouldn't think I would have had that much to lose, kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2pandt View Post
    He's 3 months old. It's been going on ever since I started nursing! I was given IV fluids, but I've been back to my prepregnancy weight since about 6-8 weeks, so I wouldn't think I would have had that much to lose, kwim?
    I looked it up and apparently breastfeeding hormones may contribute! http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpart...ating_11720.bc

But in my own experience, the crazy night sweats definitely let up around four or five months. I hope you'll have the same experience.

You're not taking any prescription drugs? Sweating can be a side effect of many drugs, including SSRIs taken for PPD.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ugh, I so know what you mean. I had it with DD1, but not NEARLY as badly as I have had it with DD2. For me, I am pretty sure it was a combination of losing fluids (had a c-sec so had a ton of fluids) and my hormones. Also, not sure where you live, but it has been a warmer summer and fall, and that has caused me to be a lot hotter than normal. for me it let up at about 2 months, although occasionally, I still have it. Hope it gets better for you...definitely NOT fun!

It's a hot flash, related to low estrogen due to breastfeeding. They will stop. I had them really bad with my first and never again.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!