Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply second time around

Default Oversupply second time around

Hi ladies,

I had terrible oversupply with my son and my lactation consultant at the time mentioned that oversupply increases with each child. Is this true? If so, should I prepare to blockfeed my newborn from birth? It took months and months to control oversupply with my son: I used ridiculous amounts of sudafed to decrease supply, blockfed, etc. and my poor son was miserable.
    Any suggestions for how to make supply more manageable this time?

TIA,
    MJ (mom to Indy, and ?)

Default Re: Oversupply second time around

I haven't heard that it gets worse with each child!!? Yikes!

I know that with Joe, I did a lot of things to make my OS worse. Next time around, I was hoping to avoid it getting WILDLY out of control and yes, blockfeeding (to some extent anyway) right from the start.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Oversupply second time around

it did for me, and yes, I blockfed starting early. But the good part was it didn't last as long each time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!