Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping but nothing is coming out

Default Pumping but nothing is coming out

Hi-my daughter is almost 5 months and I have been nursing/pumping exclusively.
    I pump 4 times a day (5AM, 9:30AM, 12:30PM and 4PM) and nurse at 6AM, 6PM and 7PM until bedtime. Until last week, DD would eat 2-3 times overnight. We are
    working on night weaning, and she now takes a bottle of expressed milk at 11:30 and that's it. Until last week, I was pumping about 20oz a day in those four sessions which was enough to send 4 4oz bottles to day care and give her a 4oz bottle at night. This week, I am barely pumping 12oz total per day. I added another pumping session before bed, started taking 6 each of Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle capsules each day, drink 2 glasses of Mother's Milk Tea, take 2 Lecithin capsules per day and drink lots of water. I also do breast compressions while I pump (each session is 30 minutes). I have tried power pumping, too. I also replaced the membranes on my PISA.

What is going on? Night weaning alone can't have dropped my supply like this,
    can it? What else can I do? I feel very full but nothing comes out when I
    pump. I am not ready to wean or supplement.

Default Re: Pumping but nothing is coming out

Are you nursing at all? Or only pumping? What kind of pump are you using? Is there a reason you night weaned?

Yes, night weaning can do that to your supply.

What kind of pump do you have?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When ever you night wean you are going to effect your supply GREATLY that is when the hormones for making milk are the highest. When you are depending on a pump going from 7pm to 5 AM is WAAAAAAAAAAAY to long. You should not ever go more then 6 hours between pumping/nursing if you want to keep any kind of supply for pumping up. And really even better should be every 2 to 4 hours. I NEVER went more then 4 hours till my DD1 was around 2 years old. And yes even over night. It's really the only way you will keep up enough supply if you are depending on pumping a lot like it sounds you are.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I thought of something else night weaning may have done - has your period come back yet? If not, the night weaning may have triggered it. And that can cause your supply to drop.