Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF & Formula?

Default BF & Formula?

So...I've been thinking of weaning my baby boy, he's only 6 months old, and I dont really want to, but...I'm starting having problems pumping enough at work. I already took a temp medication and it didn't really help. I thought maybe I could just do formula while I'm at work...how would I do that? And would it like mess him up? Or be bad for him or anything??? But, if I did decided to stop completely how do you do it? Anyone have any good websites or anything? Anyways...any help would be great

Default Re: BF & Formula?

Hello,
    Sorry for your troubles pumping enough at work - I am also working and I know pumping could be challenging.
    I don't see why you can't give your LO formula during the day and nurse when at home if that's what you decide to do - it is certainly way better than switching entirely to formula.
    May I ask what pump are you using? Have you considered renting a hospital grade pump for a while and see if it makes a difference. Also make sure you are drinking LOTS of water and having snacks while at work. I personally get myself so wrapped up in work sometimes that I forget to drink and eat ...
    I was told by my LC to do extra pumping and nursing every few weeks to keep up my milk supply with my LO's growing demands - maybe that's something that can help too.
    HTH and keep us posted!
    Borislava

This is something I chose to do, and it lasted only a couple months. She had one bottle pretty much every day from about a month old, and it gradually increased. We were doing 50/50 for about a month. Eventually, we just stopped because she wasn't getting much milk from BF and I always ended up giving her a bottle after she ate. It might be different for you, though, since you would still be feeding her at the same time every day.

In my opinion, if this is something you choose to do, it's very possible that you will quit BF sooner than you had originally planned (obviously, I have no idea how long you planned to BF for). When you're giving formula on a regular basis, you just never know how your body's going to react to it and how much milk you'll continue producing. However, I always had supply issues (which I'm sure were my fault), so maybe that's why it didn't work for me. I also didn't have a very good pump, and that's something I definitely wish I had invested in.

I stopped BF completely about a month ago (if not more), and I can still get a tiny bit of milk out if I really try. I never got engorged or anything, and I'm assuming it's because it was a slow process of moving to formula.

I read somewhere on this board that when you're feeling like giving up, give it two weeks. I think that applies in this situation since you seem to have doubts. Is there any way to try it a little longer and see if you can make it work?

I would like to do this as well and am curious about others' experiences. the previous poster's experience was a little depressing (nothing wrong with that, but it's just what I fear would happen).

I thought that your body would adjust to whatever you are doing, so formula/not pumping during the work day, and during those times on the weekend, would work fine???

I say keep pumping at work. At least then you are getting some and keeping your supply up for when you are home. Even if you can only pump enough for one bottle while you are away, keep pumping. It sounds like you will regret it if you don't. Just read some of the posts by people who are trying to relactate. Some of them quit for various reasons and then regretted enough to relactate. So pump what you can, supplement when you have to, and bf in the evenings. This could be a temporary drop in your supply and in a few weeks you will be pumping enough.

What kind of pump are you using? Consider renting a hospital grade pump and see if that helps.

IMO it is best to not listen to negative comments and keep up a good attitude. Otherwise you will end up be depressed and feeling bad about your experience. You are doing great providing milk for your lo.

Try reading some posts in the Increase you supply section and pumping.

Have you been in touch with a LLL leader who could help you either pump or make an educated decision on whether what you are wanting to do could work or not?

Just give it a little while longer. That's my opinion. Good Luck.

It sounds like you really aren't ready to stop bf-ing. When you say a temporary medication, what do you mean? I was sick last year and was having supply issues, and took fenugreek for a while. It helped me, and I know there are other herbals out there (blessed thistle, I think) that may help, too.

A lactation consultant could really help you, too. Lots of hospitals have them on staff so that you can ask them a question anytime. Maybe try that.

I hope that helps!

Lisa

Thank You guys for your help. I'm going to keep pumping for a little longer and see if it improves. I've talked to my Lactaion consultant at the hospital she prescribed me...reglan I think...I've tried fenugreek...didn't change anything...It does make me sad to think about not bfing him ;c( I'm going to the lactation consulatan about renting a better pump, I have evenflo right now...If they don't have pumps is there another place to rent them???

As far as where to rent a pump, you'd probably get more information if you post about it in the Pumping section. To my knowledge, you can rent them from the hospital. You might also want to check your area for a store that specializes in BF. We have a store called "The Lactation Station" in my city, and I know they rent pumps, as well as sell used ones (in addition to new ones, of course). What's really neat about that store is that they let you try the pump out before you buy it. They have private rooms there for you to give the pump a go before making a final purchase.

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to keep trying. It definitely seemed that you would be quite sad if you gave up BF. As far as taking Fenugreek, I always had better success if I took Blessed Thistle along with it. But I think you'll probably be covered with the Reglan (again, I think there's more info. on that in the "Increasing Your Milk" section). I wish you luck and commend you for sticking with it.