Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping vs frozen vs partial weaning?

Default pumping vs frozen vs partial weaning?

This is kind of a long post, so thanks for hanging in there.

Background: DD is 10 mos, very healthy and a good (albeit highly distracted) nurser. She is EBF, I WOH FT and pump bottles for DH/DCP. She is BLW and enjoying any and all foods with gusto. In a typical weekday, she receives 4 bottles (4 oz each) in a 10 hour period. Only eats solids at breakfast about 1/2 the time, always lunch, sometimes PM snack, usually snack/light dinner around 5pm with nursing at bedtime around 7pm (one night nursing which seems to be more out of comfort/habit than hunger).

I pump 3x/daily at work and have recently started having trouble getting those 4 bottles. I eat oatmeal, drink tons of water, take more milk plus, but can only really get 3 bottles worth. The fourth is coming out of a PM pump and frozen stash.
    I am planning to pump 3x/daily until she's 1, at which point we are pump weaning (seriously, I am counting down the days). It's just the PM pump that I am frustrated with at this point. I try to do it before I go to bed, but I have to make sure it's long enough after DD's bedtime nursing, so I find myself staying up later than I want to, just so I can pump... and even then I have to supplement with frozen. It just feels like I'm fighting a losing battle!
    I have a rotating frozen stash that I use for Monday bottles and the occasional top-off. If the 4th bottle was strictly from frozen, I estimate I have 3 weeks worth before my frozen stash is gone.
    WWYD? I would really, really love to drop the PM pump but that's only going to be a solution until she's approx 11 mos. I figure the options are:
    1. suck it up and keep the PM pump. Buy more chocolate and maybe finally get around to watching the Twilight movies as consolation
    2. Use frozen for 4th bottle as long as possible, then switch to 3 bottles bm + 1 bottle formula... for all of 1 month. Then transition her to wcm.
    3. Use frozen for 4th bottle as long as possible, then switch to 3 bottles bm + 1 bottle wcm. Hold this pattern AT LEAST until she's 1 (probably a little longer?)
    4. Switch 4th bottle to formula NOW, and keep 3 bottles bm + 1 bottle formula until 1 year. Then phase out the formula bottle first.

I guess the 5th option would be to take path #2/3 and hope that she drops another bottle within a month, in which case I can - hopefully - maintain the 3-bottles-per-day routine for a little while longer.
    Would 3-4 oz of wcm seriously be detrimental at 11 mos? I hate to switch to formula. She takes other dairy products (cheese, yogurt) without any problems (allergies, etc).
    What are your thoughts? Is this worth a trip/phone call to the pedi? She's healthy otherwise, so no other reason for a doctor's visit until 12 mos. Thanks for any thoughts or advice!!!!

Default Re: pumping vs frozen vs partial weaning

I am going to introduce whole cow's milk at 11 months, just to make sure my baby is ok with it, since I'll have a whole week off with her.

I might go for option 3, but instead of cows milk, send whole milk yogurt. That's what I did with my first daughter and it worked well.

I had a big supply drop right at the point that DS1 ramped up his consumption and had to go to formula during the day so I understand your problem. (Bigger supply this time around so I am doing fine. I don't know what the difference is, except DS2 is much more of a comfort nurser.)

How about aiming to keep the PM pumping for just one more month? You might then be able to make it the rest of the way off of your stash or a little bit of supplementation from wcm.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'd do #3 and probably use whole milk yogurt instead of cow's milk. We have been doing that a bit now, and it's nice, and he enjoys his yogurt drink.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I'd do #3 and probably use whole milk yogurt instead of cow's milk. We have been doing that a bit now, and it's nice, and he enjoys his yogurt drink.
    I love this idea. This is my preference too. If your baby eats plenty of solids and likes yogurt, you could cut back one bottle without having to supplement. It's possible that your supply is lower during the day because she isn't drinking as much on weekends either now. Joe's intake went down a bit when he started solids (he continued to nurse a ton at night, though).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks all, I love the idea of doing yogurt vs 4th bottle as she loves yogurt (straight plain, which confuses dcp ). When you say "yogurt drink" do you mean a kefir-type drink?
    Would you put that in a sippy or open cup? DH and I have agreed, nothing but bm (or formula, if I get hit by a bus) goes in bottles. Don't want one of those 2-year-olds still dragging bottles around...

I buy some expensive YoBaby drinkable yogurt because at the time we got started with them, my baby was post-op and on a liquid only diet and would not eat from a spoon, but he would drink from this feeder, which was a squeezable bottle with a straw. And all that mattered to me was that he ate! He enjoys them so much -- and won't let me feed him with a spoon still, do regular yogurt is not an option -- that I just keep buying them. He gets 1/2 of one a day, so a pack of 4 lasts us a week. But I'd put it in a cup if we didn't have these feeders.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I would either do one OR an option you haven't mentioned. Which is send in 4 bottles that are 3oz in total instead of 4. 16oz in a 10 hour period seems like A LOT. Especially for a baby that is eating some real food. And a bottle fed child often learns to drink until a bottle is empty. So just because she drinks 16oz doesn't mean she NEEDS 16oz. 1oz less a bottle. Plus snacks and then add in yogurt if needed. I would NOT supplement with formula this late in the game. And I am personally of the belief that Cow's milk can be take or left and should not be Forced. My son didn't really like it at a year and I didn't trip. As long as a child older than a year is still nursing 3-5 times in a 24hour period they don't need a milk substitute. They can drink water while away from you and still nurse on demand while together. So Don't feel like there is huge pressure around the year mark to get her to take cow's milk. You will be able to pump wean and even if she doesn't want it, if you are going to still nurse her she'll be fine. Smaller bottle. More solids. And Thus, weaning begins!

Way too lazy for formula