Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I know I'm borrowing trouble, but...

Default I know I'm borrowing trouble, but...

Ok, so in a week or so I might be going back to work for a little bit (long story) and I'm a little concerned. With DD she was a very self-scheduled baby. She ate every 2-3 hours during the day, was regular with her naps, etc etc. It was very easy to know how she would eat while I was at work.

DS is not this way at all. During the day he pretty much eats every hour all day long. He does normally take 1 good nap, but it moves around a bit and is hard to predict. Now, I don't want to schedule him, but what's going to happen when I go back to work? Any moms out there want to share their experiences? I'll be working a 9 hour day and was planning on leaving 12-14 oz depending on what I pump. DD had 3 4-oz bottles, but I'm thinking DS would be pushing to be happy with 4 3-oz bottles. I just don't know until I actually get to work and start pumping. I've already got 15 oz in the freezer, so I ok to start, but I'm worried about him. He'll be at home with our nanny and DD so it won't be day care, but I just don't know how he's going to do without all the mom cuddles.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Default Re: I know I'm borrowing trouble, but...

Hi Seph,

My DD1 was much like your DD, a self-scheduler - was very easy to predict (from 5 weeks! I was spoiled). My DD2 just the opposite, and much like your DS. When home, she likes to 'snack' frequently (every hour or so), naps are sporadic and unpredictable, etc...

I went back to work when DD2 was 12 weeks old (she's 5 mos now). I had your same concern! I'm away from her 9 hours. I started sending 5 - 3oz bottles. The DCP reported back that she was wanting more oz, less often, and after some tweeking, I now send 3- 5oz bottles (plus I give her a few frozen bags per week just in case DD is extra hungry any of the days). It has worked out well. When she's home with me on the weekends or days off, she still snacks every hour, but at daycare, she's on her own schedule of 3 feedings/day. I worried about mom cuddles, but it seems like my DD and the DCP have their own rhythm.

As far as naps, I never tried to put her on a schedule, and when she's at home, it's still hard to predict when she'll nap or for how long. But at daycare they, again, found their own rhythm and she takes a couple of naps there (same time, but different length each day).

HTH!

HTH!
    AmyMarie

Wife to Ben (4/16/10)
    Mother to Alexis (7/20/97)
    and to Reagan (6/16/11)

It's suggested that you leave 1.5 ounces for every hour that you are away. So if you nurse just before you leave and are gone for nine hours, you should leave 14-15 ounces. Because he nurses on demand, you may want to separate your milk into 2 ounce increments, that way he can have breastmilk more frequently. Your Nanny can feed him on demand much the same way that you do After a few days at work you will have a better idea of how much he will drink while you are away.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Joe was an all-day nurser like your DS. But he adjusted well to a more scheduled feeding thing when I went back to work. I pumped 1.5 oz per hour for him, as recommended, and let my husband (he's a stay at home dad) figure out when and how much. They worked out their own thing for feeding and naps.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My first baby was random in his habits. Second, from birth, was every couple of hours. Third was random again. And when I went back to work, I pumped milk and left 1 to 2 oz per hour I'd be away (it was just like 8 hours a week) and left the sitter and DH to it. They fed him when he was fussy, but if he got fussy again an hour later, they didn't feed him. They tried some other stuff first, like seeing if he was tired or bored or whatever, and then fed him if he didn't settle. It worked out just fine. The next day he was glued to my boob but that was OK.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for all the feedback! 15 oz would be a lot for me to pump in a day, so we'll see how that goes. I always heard to target 1-1.5 oz per hour while you are away, which is why I am going to target 12-14. DD did just fine on 12 oz a day for a long time!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!