Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy/ pulling off and long feedings

Question Fussy/ pulling off and long feedings

Wyatt has been fussy and pulling off a lot the last few days. His nose has been stuffy but I have been using the nose sucker and a little BM to soften and clear it out.

He will latch on for a few min then I will hear a lot of sucking and smacking then he is pulling off. He will latch back on after a few min repeat repeat repeat till he is done. It is making his feeding take so long, and happen more often, and at night they are not lasting, he has had me up 4+ times the last 3 nights (he normally sleeps 6-8 hr and only gets up to feed once.) It is making this mama very tired.

There is the possibility that he is teething, runny nose and drooling all over the place and he wants to chew on his blanket. But he is only 12 weeks old it seems to early for that to me.

He takes a bottle just fine when he is at daycare so I am not sure what I can do to make it better. I have been nursing him anytime he wants and for as long as he wants but I am starting to feel like I did when he was like 6weeks and overwelmed with it all. Plus working 45 hours a week on top of it all.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: Fussy/ pulling off and long feedings

My LO is only a week older than yours and I've had this same thing happen, including the drooling/teething concerns. I too nursed him whenever he wanted and the fussiness eventually passed.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Sometimes it's really hard for them to nurse if they are congested because they can't breathe, so they can't stay latched for a long time and get mad. Hopefully it will be over soon. Maybe try a humidifier at night time?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Sometimes it's really hard for them to nurse if they are congested because they can't breathe, so they can't stay latched for a long time and get mad. Hopefully it will be over soon. Maybe try a humidifier at night time?
    When my son is congested he'll suck for a few seconds and unlatch to take a few breaths. It DOES draw out the nursing session. And even though he's only 3 months, your little one could be starting to teeth.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold