Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: progress report...

Default progress report...

Well DS is 5 weeks today...and no, I haven't quit...I know I was thinking of doing so last week. We're still at it, although the problems haven't gone away yet. I finally got a dose of diflucan on Sunday...I'm still waiting for it to kick in. Actually, now I'm wondering if thrush is even what's causing the most of my troubles. The newest development is a very strong burning/tingling in the nipple during feeding, but after feeding it comes and goes periodically and when that happens, it radiates through the entire breast. When I feel it coming on, I look down and my nipple, will be completly white. As the pain subsides, the nipple will turn pink before my very eyes.WHAT?? Is this still the thrush, or could it be vasospasms...or some other ailment I haven't heard of yet? All I know is, it is THE most painful thing I've encountered yet...and several times I've had to pull Collin off and listen to him wail until I can put him back on again.
    At this point I dont even think bottle feeding is an option and here's why:
    over the weekend we went to visit family, and I took a bottle of formula, thinking I'd BF once while there, and bottle feed once.Well, he would NOT have the bottle. Not for a sec. Talk about angry..lol..he let me have it. I ended up nursing him and apologizing profusley to him! So I wont be trying that again!
    Anyways...here's the good news. He saw the ped. yesterday for his 1 month check-up and he weighs 9lbs,4ounces! Up 2lbs,4ounces in 3 weeks! His weight is in the 48th percentile and the dr was very happy with how he's doing. So, now I pray and pray and pray some more that nourishing my child will become less painful as time goes by. In the meantime, thanks to everyone here for all the support!

Smile Re: progress report...

Jennifer,
    Congrats on the weight gain! That is wonderful - clearly your LO is getting plenty to eat. I hope your pain gets better soon for you. You should be very proud of yourself for sticking with it through all the problems you have run into. Yea you and Yea for your baby!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: progress report...

Could your pain be let down? I can watch changes in my breast, too, when I have let down and it is definitely an intense (sometimes painful) feeling. When you feel it while feeding and take ds off, is there milk spraying or leaking?

I never spray milk. But I do leak a LOT lately. The thrush is keeping him from nursing well enough to drain the breast, which of course is compounding all of our problems

I can't recall if you have seen your Dr. about this yet. You might want to do that just for peace of mind that nothing else is going on. Or did you happen to talk about this with the Ped? Mine was helpful during that time.

The baby is getting milk and gaining weight, HIP HIP Hooray. And see here you are a week later! I hope the pain you are feeling resides and you are your way to a happy breastfeeding experience.

Hmm, that does sound a bit like vasospasm, but I think that usually occurs AFTER the feeding. Many mothers with vasospasm find that keeping the breast warm helps the problem a great deal. You might try keeping the breast covered as much as you can during the feeding (with your hand or shirt) or even a heating pad (set on LOW!!) if your little one will tolerate it. See if that helps the problem--in any case it won't hurt to try.

How is his latch? The nipple turning white during a feeding can also indicate that he's latched to shallowly.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

well I have a whole slew of things going on, and each issue compounds the others. When he latches on well, the nipple does not turn white, but I do feel a burning pain, either due to the thrush, or the fact that I'm deeply cracked.
    But the vasospasms occur immediately after feeding, and come on what seems like every few minutes, all day. Keeping my breasts warm is hard because the nipples are so sore that I dont like wearing anything! I do have Lansinoh, but I am also using nystatin cream on my nipples for the thrush and am not sure how to co-ordinate using BOTH. I hesitate to use the Lansinoh, because I heard it could foster the yeast growth. But if I DONT use it, the cracks wont heal and that is compounding the thrush AND vasospasms. What to do....hmmm... every night I say I'm giving up...every morning I say ok one more day...

You are doing a great job jennifer. I don't have any other advice but to say that you are doing great.

Obviously Collin is being fed plenty! Congrats to that and good luck with the other stuff.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Hi Jennifer,

I've had very similar problems as you and completely understand. I'm at 8 weeks and it is just know getting somewhat comfortable. What I found that helped with the cracks was to stop with the Lanolin and use Calendula oil. My LC recommended it and you can get it at health food stores. Just put a few drops on your nipple and let it air dry. I also used a nipple shield for a week which gave me a chance to heal and let me nipple bath in the breast milk. After using it I can feed a lot better and my daughter. Just make sure to pump a couple of times a day to empty the breast. I really wish I had used it sooner.

Hang in there. I was ready to give up last week and now I can finally see relief in sight.

I agree with the pp's Jennifer. Hang in there - you have made it this far and you're doing a great job!!!

My LC also told me to stop using the Lansinoh while I had the nipple infection because it gets into the cracks in the nipples and won;t let the air in to heal. I used the Nystatin cream and I also used breast shells so that nothing would touch my nipples. I healed soon after. Now that my nipples are not cracked and there's no longer a sign of infection, I have been using the Lansinoh again and it is soothing after Ashelyn's feedings.

You may want to not use the Lansinoh for now and stick with your Nystatin at least until the thrush is gone.

Good luck to you - hang in there.