Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling tips

Default Traveling tips

HI!! We are going to my MIL's house for Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any tips that would make it a smooth flight for me. Should I take my Symphony?
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Default Re: Traveling tips

Unless you pump to supplement normally, I wouldn't take a pump along. If you are flying, remember that going through security becomes more complicated with the baby. I always wear shoes that I can just kick off (although I am now thinking that the shoe removal requirement has been ended). When I flew back in August, I waited to get the baby into the Moby until after we went through security because the baby carrier has to go through the x-ray machine. If you have a layover, make sure to take a blanket to let your LO have some wiggle time at the airport. I would try to find a quiet corner, spread out the blanket and have some tummy/back time.

For you, make sure you drink a lot of water and pack yourself healthy snacks. I like to carry an extra top for me in the diaper bag. Big ziploc bags are also useful in case you have a diaper blow-out and you have nasty clothes you need to seal up.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

The rules changed about baby carries in the middle of September (I think). You can now wear the baby through the metal detector. That makes my life a lot easier!

I definitely agree with the zip lock bag suggestion.

I also like to bring my Boppy, so that I can nurse my DS on the plane. Depending on the length of the flight, he'll nurse/sleep the whole time.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Also - bring a lot more diapers than you think you'll need, just in case. You want to be prepared, especially if you have a layover!
    ~ Megan

And lots of wipes.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

1. Nurse baby on take-off and landing (sucking and swallowing helps equalize the pressure in the baby's ears)
    2. Don't bring the pump unless you actually need to use it, or plan to go somewhere without baby.
    3. Bring a big shawl for nursing privacy (if desired) and for blocking light and sound- your baby may nap comfortably under the shawl.
    4. Bring a baby carrier for carrying baby through airport and up and down aisle of plane.
    5. Bring hand sanitizer. Airports are dirty places and you can't always wash hands when you need to!
    6. Bring several plastic bags for containing soiled items you want to keep and also for disposing of dirty diapers. Hand dirty diapers to flight attendant rather than throwing them in airplane trash, since the planes don't get cleaned as often as you might think!
    7. Your carryon should contain lots of diapers, a spare outfit or 2 for baby, and at least 1 for yourself.
    8. Bring snacks for yourself.
    9. Bring a few new toys- if they distract baby for 5 critical minutes, they are worth bringing!
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; November 22nd, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you use an Ergo or other carrier, be prepared to take baby out. We traveled early in October - on the way out, I was allowed to keep DD in the carrier and be "wanded" but on the flight home I was required to remove her from the carrier. So while there may be "actual rules" how they are interpreted and followed seems to vary from airport to airport.
    If you don't bring your big pump, maybe consider bringing a manual pump just in case. I don't know how long you will be gone, but if you can pump a little bit and leave a bottle... you could go shopping for a few hours on Friday. Or sleep in a bit on Saturday. Or whatever
    Bring infant tylenol. You never know and a middle of the night pharmacy run just adds to the stress.
    To save space, put some snacks IN a bottle... then once the snacks are gone you can wash the bottle.
    extra diapers, wipes, burp cloths for the plane. Try to get a bottle of water, juice, etc in the airport with a closeable lid (that you can twist back on or something) as opposed to a can (or worse, the open cup they give you on southwest). Trying NOT to spill your drink while juggling a screaming baby is not fun, trust me.
    And this goes for all air travelers, but doubly so for moms with babies in arms: SLIP ON SHOES. Do not wear shoes you must tie/buckle/strap/use your hands in any way

Elastic waist pants so you can go to the bathroom with baby tied to you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wasliche View Post
    If you use an Ergo or other carrier, be prepared to take baby out. We traveled early in October - on the way out, I was allowed to keep DD in the carrier and be "wanded" but on the flight home I was required to remove her from the carrier. So while there may be "actual rules" how they are interpreted and followed seems to vary from airport to airport.
    Oh man - that is so annoying!

Try to get a bottle of water, juice, etc in the airport with a closeable lid (that you can twist back on or something) as opposed to a can (or worse, the open cup they give you on southwest). Trying NOT to spill your drink while juggling a screaming baby is not fun, trust me.
    Good call! Even Southwest will give you a lid if you ask for it (or if they are nice and notice you have a baby all over you).
    ~ Megan

Bring another adult!

I am not sure if you breastfeed or you EP. If you EP for sure bring the pump ON the plane! You never know how long you will be on the plane, and I have pumped numerous times on the plane. Most the time no one knew, a few times though it got annoying people sitting next to me to shut up! lol haha (yeah apparently it's awkward to talk to some one next to you pumping that you don't know! lol). Bring extra batteries for the pump, extra ice packs for the cooler bag for the milk. And be prepared for any brought on/carried on baby milk to be "tested". They will "test" your pump as well. (not turn it on, they do some dab type test, making sure for explosives or something or ruther, I don't know, but never seemed to hurt my pump or milk).

UHG, I wish they had let me wear baby through the stuff never did! But, yes wearing a baby is easier then the stroller. However, a stroller was good for all the carry ons during changing plane time! lol Trying to rush to the next terminal.

Also and take this with a grain of salt, I hope I don't offend any one. But, seriously I am I guess disabled so maybe I won't offend people, but I may do it even if I wasn't. I have had two back surgeries with a lot of arthritis and and neuropathy in one of my legs due to some nerves in my back. Any way, long story long, I have started asking for a handicap assist for the flight changes. It really helps. It was just getting too hard for my husband and I to run by ourselves with the babies to the next plane, for some reason they always literally put us the furthest you could possibly have to go to the next plane, literally we would be at terminal say 1 to land, and need the next one at say 32 (or what ever the LAST terminal in the place was!). I finally just couldn't do it, cause my legs just can't move that fast. So I said forget it let's start requesting the handicap assistant, and wow they really help you get to the next place. They let me hold the baby on my lap put me in a chair and get me to the next plane in ways we wouldn't of been allowed by ourselves! Back allies sort of speak and what not. And it's so much less stressful this way. So if you have any handicaps, or personally I would even do it if I didn't I think to just take the stress out of it, you can request that and they help a ton.

But, really I don't think I would fly by myself with a baby. I know people do, but it's a lot of work. If you don't have to do plane changes, it's easier though and then I probably would be ok by myself. But, any way.......

My other suggestion don't bring a ton of junk you won't need that helps with what you have to carry around and pack an get on the plane. Yes bring every thing you NEED. But, don't bring a bunch of things that you don't need. It's just more stuff trying to get it through. I tell you they have taken all the joy out of flying these days and it's just a burden it seems cause of such. But, the less stuff you have to drag from plane to plane the easier.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~