Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about latch / weight gain

Default Worried about latch / weight gain

Hi,
    My daughter is 7 weeks old on Thursday (born 06/10/2011)
    I breastfed for first few days but then she was bottle fed EBM until 26 Oct when she went back to beong EBF.
    I'm starting to worry she doesnt latch properly. Her bottom & top lip ony seems to curl out sometimes though usually it doesnt hurt when she's feeding after initial let down has occured. (My let down is too fast for her to cope with so she tends to adopt shallow latch to clamp down on nipple to slow it down so it hurts when she does this)
    She is gaining weight (born 7lb 15oz - now 10lb 4oz) but seems to be dropping off the line on the charts in the books.
    I'm getting really worried & even contemplating stopping BF cos it's stressing me out

How do I know she's latching properly & getting enough? Or will I never know?xx

ETA: Night times her latch is baf, think this is due to ending up slightly engorged on night & her not being able to cope with fast flow & size of breast... can this be fixed? or will it work itself out eventually??

xx

Default Re: Worried about latch / weight gain

Welcome and congratulations both on the new baby and to making it to 7 weeks of nursing!

Based on the weights you posted, I don't see anything particularly worrisome in your baby's pattern of weight gain. It's pretty normal for babies to sort of wriggle around on the charts, and there's no reason to think that your baby should follow any given line on the chart for the entirety of her first year of growth. Often a baby will be follow one growth trajectory inside the womb and a different one outside the womb. Sometimes this means a baby is born small and then balloons, or is born large and then leans out. As long as there is growth occurring, and the baby is meeting milestones appropriately, there's rarely anything to worry about.

With regards to the latch, it doesn't really matter what the latch looks like. What matters is what it feels like and the baby's diaper output (see http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html for what to look for in baby who is >6 weeks).

Just one quick question- are you nursing on demand, or trying to stretch feedings out to meet a schedule?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How much is she gaining per week? How are her wet diapers? Are you getting 6 good wet diapers a day?

As far as latch, when dylan was a newborn (and really for 3-4 months) I had to let the milk spray into a towel at letdown and then put him back on. As they get older they are better able to handle a fast letdown. Have you contacted an IBCLC about the other latch issues? Nothing beats hands on assistance
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome and congratulations both on the new baby and to making it to 7 weeks of nursing!

Based on the weights you posted, I don't see anything particularly worrisome in your baby's pattern of weight gain. It's pretty normal for babies to sort of wriggle around on the charts, and there's no reason to think that your baby should follow any given line on the chart for the entirety of her first year of growth. Often a baby will be follow one growth trajectory inside the womb and a different one outside the womb. Sometimes this means a baby is born small and then balloons, or is born large and then leans out. As long as there is growth occurring, and the baby is meeting milestones appropriately, there's rarely anything to worry about.

With regards to the latch, it doesn't really matter what the latch looks like. What matters is what it feels like and the baby's diaper output (see http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html for what to look for in baby who is >6 weeks).

Just one quick question- are you nursing on demand, or trying to stretch feedings out to meet a schedule?
    Thanks so much for your replies

I think it's because I FF my son & he perfectly followed his line in the book so I'm comparing her to him & shouldnt be!!

I'm feeding on demand (though with an 18 month old too sometimes she gets to the crying stage before I feed her ) It's usually every 2 hours during day at the minute and slightly longer (if i'm lucky) during night. With a little cluster feed on morning & a couple hours cluster feeding on a night...... Don't know if thats normal or not?!

She has plently wet nappies, her night time one is usually absolutely soaked as I don't do night changes unless she poo's.

x

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    How much is she gaining per week? How are her wet diapers? Are you getting 6 good wet diapers a day?

As far as latch, when dylan was a newborn (and really for 3-4 months) I had to let the milk spray into a towel at letdown and then put him back on. As they get older they are better able to handle a fast letdown. Have you contacted an IBCLC about the other latch issues? Nothing beats hands on assistance
    Well she's gained 38oz since birth so that averages about 4lb per week.

I sometime try to take her off at letdown to help her but sometimes she screams like mad so I end up putting her back on before it's finished. last night when I first heard her stir I was popping to bathroom to initiate letdown & let it drain away in sink!!! She didnt seem so crippled with wind but was still crying with it & wouldnt let it come out!!! She kinda forces it back down!

What is IBCLC ???? Never heard of it before, sorry!xx